PDA

View Full Version : Collapsing tower

shcmack
01-11-2011, 04:26 AM
I'm trying to figure out a good way to do this, I have a tower which consists of separated cubes. It's supposed to smash into the ground in a cartoony way, and the cubes should fly around and interact with eachother and the ground.

http://vimeo.com/18652335

I've had a look at Nvidia's PhysX, but until they release their new version I can't get that to work as I want it to. I'm having some issues with setting their initial velocity.

So I'm wondering if anyone have any good ideas on how to solve this task? I'm open for tips on plugins, and even other software's than Maya (as long as it's not too big of a task to learn).

JonCG
01-11-2011, 08:20 AM
Hi. Take a look at bullet for Maya. I haven't personally used it but from what I've seen from others looks really cool. And best of all it's free!
- Jon

mandark1011
01-11-2011, 04:17 PM
you could do this in ncloth. Although you may see the odd cube acting strangely.

Making sure your Cubes are not intersecting merge them all into a single piece of geo. Turn into Ncloth and crank up deform and stretch resistance. Its a hack and not as nice as true rigid simulation but will work in a pinch.

DynamicBoy
01-11-2011, 11:03 PM
Try pulldownit plugin, I think you can do this easily even with free version.

onetime
01-13-2011, 09:07 AM
Second vote for Dynamica. You could certainly do it with nCloth but the simulation time is slower. Plus I don't know if you can actually bake your ncloth animation or if you have to work with a cache.

The free version of Pulldownit is limited to 300 objects. Not sure how many your model has.

DynamicBoy
01-13-2011, 09:59 PM
Second vote for Dynamica. You could certainly do it with nCloth but the simulation time is slower. Plus I don't know if you can actually bake your ncloth animation or if you have to work with a cache.

The free version of Pulldownit is limited to 300 objects. Not sure how many your model has.

Free verison of pulldownit is limited to 300 objects for more than 100 frames, so you can at least try if it is working for 100 frames computing.

shcmack
01-25-2011, 11:53 AM
Doh, I totally forgot this thread :argh:

Thanks for the sudgestions :)

I've looked into the Dynamica plugin, it looks pretty awsome. However, I havent been able to figure out if it's possible to get it to inherit the velocity from another object/group.

Take my video as an example, I've just animated the group which is a parent of all the bricks. I'm wondering if it's possible to get Dynamica to kick in when the tower is close to the ground, and the simulate with the same speed/velocity as it was animated in?

Calibrix
01-25-2011, 06:49 PM
I'm sure you can script something to it. What I typically do I replace the animation with the rigid bodies at impact by just using a visibility switch. Nothing fancy. And just gauge how much velocity the rigid bodies need. As an alternative you could script it. If you are moving the original bodies transform you could get the velocity of the object and then link that to the initial velocity of the rigid body. It would take a bit to get the connections set up; or if you build or rigids with a script you could write that in. I've used dynamica a little bit and you can script most of it.

CGTalk Moderation
01-25-2011, 06:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.