PDA

View Full Version : Fallof Mix curve access

stigatle
01-10-2011, 08:04 AM
I need to create points in my falloff map, and move them.

In maxscript help it says:

Falloff : TextureMap <Falloff>.mixcurve SubAnim default: SubAnim:MixCurve

This mix curve determines the falloff.

<Falloff.mixcurve>.curve_1 SubAnim default: SubAnim:Curve_1

The curve_1 SubAnim contains the mix curve points. You cannot create or access these points unless the point is animated. If a point is animated, you can access the point position using the .Point_X property of curve_1, where X in the point number.

but I've got trouble understanding exactly how.
Do any of you have some script for this?

I just need to understand how to access a point to move it, and how to access next point.
Problem is that I'm doing something wrong, so I cannot access it like expected.

PEN
01-10-2011, 12:38 PM
Are your points animated?

stigatle
01-10-2011, 12:54 PM
Unfortunately not.

My googling revealed that they have to be animated.
also someone mention that it cannot be done through maxscript.

But I hope there is a solution to this, it's the only missing piece in my tool.

PiXeL_MoNKeY
01-10-2011, 03:03 PM
The best way I can think to access maps/materials that aren't creatable/accessible through maxscript is to setup a simple material library with some already setup map(s)/mat(s). Then load that map/mat and you can access it as needed. This means you distribute on extra small file with your tool and can workaround the issue, like you currently have.

-Eric

stigatle
01-10-2011, 04:02 PM
I cannot do this because I'm depending on adjusting the curve through script..

hmm. strange that they complicate such a small thing like this.

PiXeL_MoNKeY
01-10-2011, 05:11 PM
Create a map in a material library that has 10 animated mix map vertices, you can then load that map, delete any you don't need and adjust the rest, all through maxscript. The only difference is instead of creating the map from scratch you are loading it from disc. This is the only way (that I know of) you will get the control you want.

-Eric

stigatle
01-11-2011, 09:27 AM
yes, I guess this is what I'll end up doing..
I do not like it, but now it seems like there's no other way.

soulburn3d
01-13-2011, 08:39 PM
It's certainly on my wishlist.

http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_tools/cg_wishlist/3dsmax/wishlist_maxscript_curves.htm

- Neil

Raytracer05
01-14-2011, 10:59 AM
@stigatle

If your tool is just for personal use you could use a BerconGradient.
http://www.ylilammi.com/BerconGradient.shtml
I think it can do everything a falloff map can do and more.

Dan

stigatle
01-15-2011, 11:06 AM
thanks for the info, but I do not want to depend on 3'rd party tools in this tool.

But It's very useful information to others who are having same problem. so thanks for the info.

stigatle
01-17-2011, 05:38 AM
also one of the biggest problems with BerconMaps is that "mental ray is NOT supported".

Raytracer05
01-17-2011, 08:41 AM
No you're right, Mental Ray isn't supported.

Like I said in my original post, if your were developing a tool for your own use (and not rendering with MR) BerconMaps might have offered a solution.

I thought I'd found a found a workaround for this when noticed the standard gradient ramp has a normal mode but again most of the parameters aren't accessible to MaxScript. That led me to the BerconGradient.

Looks like PiXeL_MoNKeY's is the best solution.

Dan

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2011, 08:41 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.