PDA

View Full Version : mastering Lighting and Shaders

princevenki
01-10-2011, 07:59 AM
Actually I use mental ray Lighting and Shaders techniques for any kind of Job.

But my friend suggested that u need to master Lighting and Shaders in any kind of software which are used by different Companies.

He said that they have their own softwares for doing that jobs.

So I require some guidance on mastering Lighting and Shaders.

Hope for a replay.

Thanks in Advance.

Ani-MaX
01-10-2011, 08:15 AM
Learn lighting in one software and you can transfer it to any software. Learning the theory of setting up lighting is the most important knowledge you have to learn to be a good lighter. As for software it takes a week to learn the buttons.

princevenki
01-10-2011, 08:23 AM
Learn lighting in one software and you can transfer it to any software. Learning the theory of setting up lighting is the most important knowledge you have to learn to be a good lighter. As for software it takes a week to learn the buttons.

currently i am using maya software render and i can't get anything realistic.

Is there any tutorials available

mister3d
01-10-2011, 08:45 AM
Not all renderers provide similar results and possibilities, and some take more time to learn. I would try vray for maya if I were you. Then, IF you need, you could learn another more complex renderer.

princevenki
01-10-2011, 10:52 AM
Not all renderers provide similar results and possibilities, and some take more time to learn. I would try vray for maya if I were you. Then, IF you need, you could learn another more complex renderer.

can u please list me different types of software they use for lighting and shading.

Ani-MaX
01-10-2011, 10:52 AM
currently i am using maya software render and i can't get anything realistic.

Is there any tutorials available

When you said software did you mean renderer? In that case go to the plugin manager and enable mayatomr. It will enable mental ray, which is a great renderer. Mental Ray (MR) is a little bit tricky and takes a long time to master it. Vray is easier, but mostly used in arch viz. If you got the cash, go get Vray for maya, but wait a bit for the 2.0 version, which will hopefully be out soon. :D

Ani-MaX
01-10-2011, 10:55 AM
can u please list me different types of software they use for lighting and shading.

The list of renderers used in production:

- Mental ray (Used in vfx and arch viz, product viz) Long time to master

-Vray ( mainly arch viz) Easy to start with

- Pixar's Renderman (vfx, very difficult to learn.

And different kinds of other renders are used like:

Arnold, 3Delight and so forth.

But mainly the first three are the most common.

mister3d
01-10-2011, 11:43 AM
Vray is easier, but mostly used in arch viz. If you got the cash, go get Vray for maya, but wait a bit for the 2.0 version, which will hopefully be out soon. :D
What's that supposed to mean? You can render animations with vray 10 times faster due to fast MB and DOF, at least in vray 2. "Used in archviz" is misleading, it can be used of anything.

princevenki
01-10-2011, 12:44 PM
The list of renderers used in production:

- Mental ray (Used in vfx and arch viz, product viz) Long time to master

-Vray ( mainly arch viz) Easy to start with

- Pixar's Renderman (vfx, very difficult to learn.

And different kinds of other renders are used like:

Arnold, 3Delight and so forth.

But mainly the first three are the most common.

what are the most used ones in Hollywood films.

Ani-MaX
01-10-2011, 01:02 PM
What's that supposed to mean? You can render animations with vray 10 times faster due to fast MB and DOF, at least in vray 2. "Used in archviz" is misleading, it can be used of anything.
Yes of course, Blur used it on the Fireflies cinematic. And Digital Domain used it I believe on Tron Legacy. So yeah, but it is used the most on arch viz, should have specified that of course :P

Well princevenki, Pixar's Renderman is the most widely used for visual effects, followed by Mental Ray (Mental ray is installed and ready to go in Maya and Max.)

princevenki
01-10-2011, 01:14 PM
Yes of course, Blur used it on the Fireflies cinematic. And Digital Domain used it I believe on Tron Legacy. So yeah, but it is used the most on arch viz, should have specified that of course :P

Well princevenki, Pixar's Renderman is the most widely used for visual effects, followed by Mental Ray (Mental ray is installed and ready to go in Maya and Max.)

What about houdini?

mister3d
01-10-2011, 01:18 PM
What about houdini
Do you use question marks?

princevenki
01-10-2011, 02:20 PM
Do you use question marks?

Oh! I missed it.

now it is corrected

nilla
01-13-2011, 12:17 AM
To answer your original question studios will use different proprietary software but no one knows every single rendering engine on the market so don't worry about the software, worry about learning how to actually light things and then you can start thinking about vray, maxwell, renderman and so on. If you'd work at a studio in the future they will train you in their specific software, it's about learning the principle and techniques in one app.

If you have Maya then learn how to render in maya software and mental ray, maya software is fast and simple if you look in you render settings you have only one tab while for mental ray there's four so more features and more complicated. Mental ray has additional materials and allows for indirect illumination which allows for better results, but also higher rendering times so it's good to understand the fundamentals before starting to turn things on.

You need two things to get anywhere in lighting the first one is an understanding of how lights and materials in the real world works so make observations. There's a good sticky thread with a tutorial on this http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=21&t=209619.

The second thing is an understanding of CG lighting, Jeremy Birn probably made the best tutorial on this topic you'll find it in the shop http://store.cgsociety.org/product/000447/ it will take you through a lot of topics and if you follow that it will give you a good understanding of maya software and mental ray. He also wrote a great book called "Digital lighting and rendering" which you definitely want to read if this is a field you want to focus on.

The lighting challenges on this forum are also a great resource, you can download old scenes for practice on your own or participate and get some feedback from other people. So don't worry about the software, but focus on the techniques which is what really matters in the end of the day :)

princevenki
01-16-2011, 11:41 PM
To answer your original question studios will use different proprietary software but no one knows every single rendering engine on the market so don't worry about the software, worry about learning how to actually light things and then you can start thinking about vray, maxwell, renderman and so on. If you'd work at a studio in the future they will train you in their specific software, it's about learning the principle and techniques in one app.

If you have Maya then learn how to render in maya software and mental ray, maya software is fast and simple if you look in you render settings you have only one tab while for mental ray there's four so more features and more complicated. Mental ray has additional materials and allows for indirect illumination which allows for better results, but also higher rendering times so it's good to understand the fundamentals before starting to turn things on.

You need two things to get anywhere in lighting the first one is an understanding of how lights and materials in the real world works so make observations. There's a good sticky thread with a tutorial on this http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=21&t=209619.

The second thing is an understanding of CG lighting, Jeremy Birn probably made the best tutorial on this topic you'll find it in the shop http://store.cgsociety.org/product/000447/ it will take you through a lot of topics and if you follow that it will give you a good understanding of maya software and mental ray. He also wrote a great book called "Digital lighting and rendering" which you definitely want to read if this is a field you want to focus on.

The lighting challenges on this forum are also a great resource, you can download old scenes for practice on your own or participate and get some feedback from other people. So don't worry about the software, but focus on the techniques which is what really matters in the end of the day :)

Thank you my friend
You helped me a Lot.

RasoulValli
01-18-2011, 10:26 AM

very nice help to everyone who wants to master in 3d lighting and rendering. I have just found this guide to reach my goal in 3d. and now I'm reading it here and I'm so pleased that there are some people like you helping others to find their way. Thank you very much. I deeply believe your words.
I think it's the art behind a nice rendered scene that makes it nice! like a surgery operation that happens by a surgeon(as an artist) not by a knife (as tools or softwares). Of course better knife improves surgeon's skills. But the origin is the person behind it!

princevenki
01-18-2011, 11:24 AM
very nice help to everyone who wants to master in 3d lighting and rendering. I have just found this guide to reach my goal in 3d. and now I'm reading it here and I'm so pleased that there are some people like you helping others to find their way. Thank you very much. I deeply believe your words.
I think it's the art behind a nice rendered scene that makes it nice! like a surgery operation that happens by a surgeon(as an artist) not by a knife (as tools or softwares). Of course better knife improves surgeon's skills. But the origin is the person behind it!

U said obviously correct dude.

I am saying thanks once again to Him.

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2011, 11:24 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.