PDA

View Full Version : Robot Character

Whystler
01-10-2011, 06:29 AM
Here is a funky robot character. Made in 3d Studio Max, he is intended for low poly needs at exactly 1000 faces. so far he has a good natured walking (rolling) animation.

I've never suffered a critique before, and so I believe it's about &^%! time!

Front:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5004/5342321478_83e09fd7ab.jpg

Back:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5288/5341711011_42302ea7b0.jpg

Hit me good, so I can get better.

-Whystler

Whystler
01-13-2011, 08:36 PM
Question... Do you think the pixel-screen on his face makes sense? My motivation was for it to look like a low resolution monitor with large pixels forming his eyes. In this case, his eyes are supposed to look like two of the keyboard characters called "carets". Like this: ^^ ... you see them used as part of anime or asian style emoted smilies. I thought it might look cute to give him eyes printed on a screen.

Do you think I met that goal successfully? Or is it not that obvious?

-Whystler

Carnifexs
01-17-2011, 06:32 AM
I like the idea of having the facial expressions being characters on a keyboard. It actually sounds pretty awesome, you could make some really fun ones like : p and what not...

A few general comments:

1. I like the face, but you might want to make the "pixels" that are off be darker, it would make the eyes pop more, and they wouldnt have to be white to provide contrast... I would suggest darkening the whole face, including the ^ ^... It might take some fiddling with.

2. The specularity is bluring out the details of your cool little robot. A specularity map would definitely help with that, or maybe just turn in down a little if your not developing it with spec maps... Everything is a little to white...

3. Love the tire and arms.

4. Other than that the only thing i would say is the top part of the body is completely white, it would be nice to see something there, like a vent or some sort of panel with screws holding it in place. Something like that...

Hope i wasn't too critical, it's really cute and going in a good direction!

megalmn2000
01-19-2011, 03:54 AM
Your robot is pretty cute with the little anime-style eyes.
I would just change the specular map, just to make the material more believable.
It's hard to tell if it's a plastic or a metallic surface.
Otherwise, I like it. :)

eureka52
01-27-2011, 07:15 PM
The back being different from the front is nice, but keep the style the same; you have these curve and rounder details going on in the front but it becomes completely unrecognizable in the back because you go with the very square designs. Keep the style consistent.

this thing will look great when you fix it up!

CGTalk Moderation
01-27-2011, 07:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.