PDA

View Full Version : Bone using weight maps?

dzogchen
10-15-2003, 04:10 PM
I just downloaded the demo and try it out. How do you assign weight map to the bone? Also, I check the docs and there are no tutorials regarding the new auto rig function.

Sil3
10-15-2003, 04:39 PM
Look for explanations in the html manual.

For Weights look in:

-Interface---Animate Tab---Effector

For the Autorig check in:

-Introduction---What´s New´s---studi9/animate 4a (midle of the page)

dzogchen
10-15-2003, 05:20 PM
Ok saw it but how to use it in connection with the bone??:surprised

tOd
10-15-2003, 06:15 PM
Unlesr your rigging a game character I havet found I need for weight maps. I just place holder bones. Works great. Messiahs bones and thier fall off are the best IMHO.

Sil3
10-15-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by dzogchen
Ok saw it but how to use it in connection with the bone??:surprised

Confusing arent they? well, do it like me, wait for the new CD from Joe Cosman :D

fwtep
10-15-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by dzogchen
I just downloaded the demo and try it out. How do you assign weight map to the bone? Also, I check the docs and there are no tutorials regarding the new auto rig function.
It looks like your model just needs one or two "hold" bones in the head, perhaps one placed horizontally at the bottom and one at the top.

OR you can use MetaEffectors, which will give much better accuracy and power. Take a look in the docs under

Interface-->Setup-->Items Tab

There are two blocks, MetaEffector, and Effector. MetaEffector is a tool, and you add it from the Tools sub-tab in Setup. It is a weight field tool, like weightmaps, but they let you reuse rigs on different characters, because they're not hardcoded to the object mesh. If you replace your object you can just adjust the Effectors to match the new geometry.

Fred

dzogchen
10-16-2003, 10:59 AM
Oh well, not so intuitive to someone new in rigging. Thanks for your help anyway.

fwtep
10-16-2003, 05:31 PM
Which part isn't intuitive, adding a couple of extra bones or the MetaEffectors? Let me know and I'll explain it.

Fred

dzogchen
10-18-2003, 07:45 AM
Adding bones not a problem. How to add MetaEffectors to bones?

Jonathan
10-18-2003, 09:52 AM
Here ya go dzpgchen, I ran into this same problem when I started trying to use metaeffectors as boneweights I recieved dubious answers as well and the docs are not that good for Messiah, they never have been and assume you learn more by tearing apart samples given on the CD.

1. Add a metaEffector (note: the metaEffector need not be part of the hierachy)

2. Add an effector. (note: you can see the button is setuo mode with the metaeffector you added selected.)

3. Take the effector you created and parent it to the bone you wish to use the effector on.

4. If you want to see the weight map, select the metaeffector and ctrl+select your mesh. Then click "add items to weight drawing list" also found in setup. This way you can see the the area of influence on the mesh.

5. Select your bone and under the weight tab, select the metaeffector you created.

6. reshape your effector's influence.

7. Under bone_deform in setup mode, you can chose between factored weights and direct weights. Factored weights are better, as direct weights with only calculate the effector's area.

And that's how you weight map bones.

It sounds long winded but understand that effectors are used for dozens of things so it applies. It also means that you'll be using alot of metaEffectors if you go this route. A metaEffector for each part of the extremity, and effectors for each of those effectors so in the end, you'll be much better off using hold bones however when adding effects to your mesh such as bloat etc..., metaEffectors are hard to beat. They are robust.

dzogchen
10-21-2003, 06:33 AM
Thanks Jonathon for your very descriptive instruction :thumbsup: I appreciate that very much. I manage to get effector to work on the bones. Still testing out the rest of the features. Would be great if the demo can be saved but unable to export out to any other software. THis reduce the frustration of doing everything from the begining when test driving...

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.