PDA

View Full Version : 3D Head - Base Mesh Tutorial

macmonkey
01-09-2011, 08:28 AM
This is an intermediate level tutorial of a new technique that i have developed to make a base mesh for a generic head. It is for anyone, like me, that doesn't like starting with a blank canvas and building a base mesh poly by poly. It puts all the pieces in place and you then "simply" have to push the points around to sculpt the form.

I have been doing a bit of character modeling recently, and after another session of chasing triangles around a mesh trying to get some pretty edge loops; i decided to sit down and refine a very simple 3x3x3 box technique which i came up with in a while ago and can be found here: http://www.cheetah3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2991.

It is now a slightly more complicated 6x5x4 box technique, but it gives you all the polygons you need for a pretty decent base mesh. The resulting mesh has been based on one by Scott Eaton... so if there are any polys out of place blame it on him ;)

Please note that the resulting mesh will be a pretty fugly looking box, but it is a box that when pushed and pulled into shape will give you a head with a pretty decent poly flow. It is also a base mesh only... to create the eyes and mouth you need to add more edge loops inside the existing ones to build up detail.

-----------------------------------------------
This tutorial requires you to know how to:
* create a cube
* Add edges
* Delete edges
* Inset Polygons
* Weld Vertices
* Ring cut faces

Time Frame
It should take around 10-15 mins to build the mesh, then around 45mins - 1 hr to push and pull the polys into place

==========================

I have also uploaded it here so you can see the tutorial as one image, and you can also download it as a PDF: http://web.me.com/dggd/Site/3D_Head_BaseMesh_Tutorial.html

I hope that someone finds this helpful, and that it isn't too confusing. If you have any questions please ask.

Good luck,
Dave :)

Milivoj-Lemonade3D
01-10-2011, 04:54 PM
so simple it's wonderful! i love it! tnx a lot!

Seinfeld
01-11-2011, 12:13 PM
Interesting, will definately try this out thanks.

CGTalk Moderation
01-11-2011, 12:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.