PDA

View Full Version : particles spawning particles?

em3
01-09-2011, 06:32 AM
This is probably the easiest thing in the world which is why I am not finding anything about it on search.

Looking at my pflow, the position object is the spawning the particles, not the particles coming from the position object.

How can I make the particles spawn particles?

Thanks!

http://www.treadster.com/spawn.jpg

cgCody
01-09-2011, 07:02 PM
Place the spawn test (Or the age test, depending on what you're wanting to do.) at the end of Event 001, and plug this into Event 002. All of those nodes with the yellow icon are called tests. They each check for some parameter. If the parameter is met, it will send the particles (new particles, in the case of spawn test.) to the next event.

The flow works like this:

Event 001
Birth particles
Do something to the particles
test for something: spawn, age, collision, etc
If it tests true: send to next event...
|
|
Event 002
Do something new to the particles...

em3
01-09-2011, 08:02 PM
so it's just a matter of moving the age test underneathe the display? geaah! I was wondering why my original particles were disappearing. I hate being a newb at new stuff :banghead:

Thanks dude!!

cgCody
01-09-2011, 08:55 PM
It's a matter of removing the spawn test, and/or replacing the age test with it. The position of the display node is inconsequential.

This is what your flow is doing:

Event 001
Birth 200 particles between frames 20 and 21
position particles at sphere
apply gravity
test particle age; Is the particle more than 1 frame old, plus or minus a random value of 250 (between -249 to 251)?
If true, send to next event...

At this point, you already have the problem of some or all of your particles immediately moving to the next event, before your gravity force has a chance to work it's magic. If you're spawning the particles inside a sphere, you're probably not seeing them, because they haven't moved passed their initial spawn point.

Event 002
test spawning of new particles
If true, send and spawn particles in next event...

Ahh, but you're not doing anything with these newly spawned particles.

I would highly recommend watching some tutorials, so that you can get a better idea of the "flow" in particle flow. It would be a lot easier than trying to feel your way around in the dark. Look up Allan Mckay. That's a great place to start. :)

em3
01-09-2011, 09:05 PM
Thanks Cody, I purchased the CG Academy PFlow DVD last night.

I appreciate the help.

em3
01-10-2011, 03:54 AM
I should add that my last post is nothing against Allan, I know his stuff very well and his website is a great resource. After watching the first DVD, I should have gone to Allan's site first.

CGTalk Moderation
01-10-2011, 03:54 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.