PDA

View Full Version : Houdini 11 Rigid Body issue

jsells20
01-08-2011, 05:23 AM
I'm following the tutorial on this site...

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?Itemid=&id=766&option=com_content&task=view

that walks through the creation of text and uses dynamics near the end. It's for 9 but following the same steps in 11 the primitives all shatter not just the individual groups.

I tried RBD Glue instead of RBD Fractured and it will keep the entire text groups together but it's as one solid group if I increase the internal glue. This is driving me nuts since I am trying to learn Houdini.

tkngs
03-24-2011, 04:51 PM
Hi,

I just did H11 version of the same tutorial link that you shared. The main change is in the RBD Glue Object node in the following areas:

'Internal Glue' tab: Glue Strength parameter default of 1000 is too strong. I used 0 to allow the letters to break apart easily upon hitting the ground place rbd object.
'Group Mask': I used 'letter_*' instead of the default 'piece' to hold the sides of each individual letter together for the rbd simulation to work with each letter as a complete group.

I have attached a sample hip file of my scene here: http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&p=101891#101891

Hope this is what you are looking for.

Cheers,
tk

Robert Magee
03-25-2011, 05:15 PM
Did you fuse the points? That is an important step which needs to happen otherwise the front faces and sides will react individually. Be sure to fuse the points before the sim then cusp them afterwards.

If you are still having issues post your .hip file and I will take a look.

Robert

jussing
01-07-2012, 09:29 PM
Hi,

I thank you for this thread, as I'm having the same problem.

Tkngs, I have downloaded your. hip file, and it works fine, but I can't see what you've changed and I don't understand your description.You say the change is in the Glue Object node, but I can find no such node in your file.

Your nodes go like this:

font -> polyextrude -> connectivity -> partition -> facet -> create_fractured_groups -> rest -> dopimport

Even the create_fractured_groups sub-nodes look exactly like mine.

Thanks for any help! Sorry for the newb questions.

edit: I did get it to work with fuse as Robert suggested (thanks), but I'd still like to know how Tkngs's solution works.

Cheers,
- Jonas

CGTalk Moderation
01-07-2012, 09:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.