PDA

View Full Version : hotkey overview chart

Skjoldbroder
10-15-2003, 09:35 AM
heya.

i've been working a bit on some photoshop workflow tutorials and was drawing up a chart of the hotkeys i use the most. if this is something you might find useful, c&c is more than welcome. (well. it's also welcome if you don't find it useful)

http://www.skjoldbroder.dk/fisse/photoshop_hotkeys_thumb.jpg (http://www.skjoldbroder.dk/fisse/photoshop_hotkeys.jpg)

i'm not quite done (at all) with this, but it'd be nice to know if anyone finds this useful at all. just to give myself a bit of motivation to get more work done on it. the workflow paper itself is in a semi-finished state. if there's any interest, i'll post it here when i'm done with it.

all the best.
moe

halo
10-15-2003, 01:37 PM
yeh i think that would be useful, perhaps you can persuade a mod to make it sticky when its finished.

theres one problem i see with it though,...your gonna run out of room quickly....ie ctrl/com s is save, ctrl/com shift s is save as, ctrl/com alt s is save as a a copy...and so on...lots of keys in ps have 2 or 3 shortcuts

little5points
10-15-2003, 10:13 PM
this should be very useful for some people. I think I've memorized about 75% of the keys now ;)

Skjoldbroder
10-16-2003, 10:32 AM
hey

halo: yep, that's a point =) but i wasn't looking to do an exhaustive map of ALL hotkeys.. just the ones i use the most and that figure heavily in my workflow. that doesn't include basic hotkeys such as saving and loading - if you don't know them already you're probably not ever going to use ANY hotkeys so why bother.

anyway. thanks for your comments. more is also appreciated :)

halo
10-16-2003, 01:43 PM
cool...looking forward to it :)

Neil
10-21-2003, 12:32 AM
i still can't figure out how to resort the brushes.
Once you add a new size brush, it sticks it at the end.

Not too helpful when you [ ] through the brushes and have to go through all hard edges just to get bakc to the softedge.

Ikarus
10-21-2003, 04:00 AM
Very nice Plaf, it should defenetly help some people out.

Neil maybe you'll find this helpful:
-To sort your brushes go to EDIT--> PRESET MANAGER. In your PRESET MANAGER select BRUSHES and just arrange them in the order that you want.
-The [ ] keys decrease and increase the brush diameter.
-The { } keys decrease and increase the softness of a brush.
-The , . keys toggle between NEXT and PREVIOUS brushes.
-The < > keys toggles between FIRST and LAST brush.
-The F5 key toggles the BRUSH PALLETE on and off.

Hope that helps:)

Neil
10-21-2003, 02:21 PM
Thanks!

although, edit > preset isn't there. I'm using 5.0 :shrug:

jbw
10-21-2003, 02:45 PM
Oh yeah... PS shortcut keys! Umm it's looking real nice but one thing that I'd change about the opacity numpad explanation:

Hitting '0' equals 100%
Hitting '2' then '0' equals 20%, etc.

how about...
Hitting '0' equals 100%
Hitting '2' equals 20%, 3 equals 30% etc.
Hitting '2' then '5' equals 25%

Just a suggestion.

How about a few commands?
Ctrl+Shift+N - New layer
Ctrl+J - Copy via layer
Ctrl+T - Free transform
Alt+] - Move up a layer
Alt+[ - Move down a layer
Ctrl+] - Move layer up
Ctrl+[ - Move layer down

ta,
jbw

nullUser
10-21-2003, 11:17 PM
The [ and ] hotkeys for brush size are my best friends.
:thumbsup:

Cameo
11-02-2003, 01:12 AM
Amen to that.

Though thanks to Ikarus theres a few more I didnt realise about that I will have to try. Thanks for that Ikarus.

wedge
11-03-2003, 05:34 AM
on my keyboard - and + are side by side. just a small gripe.

this is good though, i didn't know the spacebar was a move tool. I always hit V for that.

kex
11-03-2003, 07:56 PM
dam i really need/ want a hotkey for free transformation, transforming a selection, i use it so much but i cant make a shortcut to it even with actions is thier a way?

Cameo
11-03-2003, 10:57 PM
Isnt it Ctrl+T? Or do you mean a different command.

Btw does anyone know if it is possible to customise your hotkeys in PS like there is in Maya? I had a look through the menus but couldnt see anything which might allow this.

ZEROSKULL
11-04-2003, 03:49 AM
Thanks for sharing the tip man :D:beer:

jbw
11-04-2003, 09:44 AM
Cameo - You can't customise the hotkeys prior to Photoshop CS.
You can however set up actions and assign them an F key. I use this quite alot at work - anything from save as 'x' file type to flatten image etc. Really useful when remember they're there! :)

ta,
jbw

yinako
11-04-2003, 11:48 AM
thanks this will replace my old one on top of my monitor.

foreverendering
02-13-2004, 06:25 PM
does anyone know if there is a hotkey just for shifting the opacity of a brush up and down by increments of ten?

I tried shift+ up/down and that works but only if the opacity slider is visible ... which you have to move the mouse up and click on the arrow next to the opacity number.

I was wondering if there is a better way...

halo
02-13-2004, 08:32 PM
try 1 - 0

Ikarus
02-14-2004, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by kex
dam i really need/ want a hotkey for free transformation, transforming a selection, i use it so much but i cant make a shortcut to it even with actions is thier a way?
If you have Photoshop CS, you can customize your keyboard shortcuts. If you have an older version you can use actions just like JVW mentioned to map "select transformation" to an "F key".

One trick I learned when I first started using photoshop in school was to use "quick mask" whenever I needed to transform a selection. Make the selection press "Q" and your in quick mask, press "CTL+T" to FREE TRANSFORM, and "Q" to get out of quick mask, and your done. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.