PDA

View Full Version : Help with Rocket/Missile effects...

joelgray
01-06-2011, 01:52 AM
Iíve been working with Max since, well almost the DOS days, and I know Particle Flow came out around version 7. Iím ashamed to say, I havenít really done much with Particle flow other than the odd water fall (from a distance), and I usually just go back to the old PArray and Snow if I can get away with itÖUp to now I've not had to do much in the way of effects, but that's about to change.

Now Iím working on a potential project where I would need to develop *highly realistic* rocket and missile engines with plumes of fire, sparks,smoke, etc. and Iím needing to get more up-to-speed with Particle flow. Does anyone have any general suggestions about:

01. tutorials, videos (preferred) or books that specifically relate to rockets and smoke effects
02. suggestions on whether or not I need other plugins like FumeFX or Krakatoa to do the job right
03. recommended workflows for integrating these effects into animated scenes

I hate to put up such broad questions, but the more I research about Particle Flow and related plugins, the more confused I get. So at the risk of sounding like a noob, help?!

Thanks!

Joel

Glacierise
01-06-2011, 10:02 AM
Get the CG Academy PFlow DVD set, it will bring you to speed. Plugins - you'll need Afterburn and FumeFX, and training for them. FumeFX is a bit slower to get good with, but practice and you'll be ok :)

joelgray
01-06-2011, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the tip! I always seem to forget about CG Academy as a resource... I'll go check them out now. Thanks again...

Joel

CGTalk Moderation
01-06-2011, 03:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.