PDA

View Full Version : How do you map reference texture to Standard Terrain?

moiremusic
01-05-2011, 11:41 PM
I'm new to Vue and going through the docs for the first time. I've just made it through the Terrain Editor section. I need to be able to map a reference texture to my Standard Terrain, so that I can create terrain using it as a guide. The docs mention this is possible, but do not explain how. Can anyone walk me through this? Using Vue 9.0 Complete (demo).

Wabe
01-06-2011, 07:19 AM
Maybe I missed something - you can not load any textures inside the terrain editor as reference.

But wouldn't it be much easier to use the reference texture directly for creating the terrain? Reset the terrain first, go to the load bitmap section in the terrain editor and there load your texture.

Out of my mind (nor sitting in front of Vue right now), if a bitmap should fit perfectly onto a terrain you enter the pixel size values of the bitmap as resolution of the standard terrain (whatever units these are) and use "object parametric" for the mapping in the material editor.

moiremusic
01-06-2011, 12:41 PM
Thanks greatly for your response, Wabe. I saw this video (http://www.e-onsoftware.com/products/vue/vue_9_infinite/?page=2) (see the "Sculpt from References" section) which states that: "You can now apply a bitmap to a terrain, and then view this bitmap inside the Terrain Editor as you sculpt the terrain." Is this feature limited to Vue 9 Infinite? I was hoping that it was included in the Terrain Editor of all Vue 9 versions. That video shows almost exactly the functionality I need, but of course Vue Infinite is pretty costly and I'd love to know if this feature is available in Vue 9 Complete or Studio.

xad
01-06-2011, 03:14 PM
I don't know if there are any new features in Vue 9 that help with using reference images for sculpting terrains. From the video I would guess that they have just applied an image map to the terrain material and you can actually see that in the terrain editor they check the 'show texture maps' button which just displays the texture from the material that is applied to the terrain.

You could try to edit your terrain material and in the material editor under 'color & alpha' switch to 'mapped picture' and load your image. Then check the 'show texture maps' button in the terrain editor and see if that works for you.

moiremusic
01-06-2011, 03:59 PM
You could try to edit your terrain material and in the material editor under 'color & alpha' switch to 'mapped picture' and load your image. Then check the 'show texture maps' button in the terrain editor and see if that works for you.
Ah, this worked perfectly! I probably should have read through the Material Editor section before posting. At least now I know that I'm not spinning my wheels. Vue may be the perfect solution for this project.

geekatplay
01-07-2011, 06:09 PM
http://www.geekatplay.com/tutorials6.php #185

CGTalk Moderation
01-07-2011, 06:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.