PDA

View Full Version : Frame rates

jrwells
10-15-2003, 07:50 AM
I have been playing with flash for a little while now, and with everything that I have read nobody mentions what the standard frame rate in fps is for the web. I am interested in what is the industry standard, and am looking to minimize the choppy animations while not overloading most standard computers. The animations that I am using are typically not heavy in size.

Ian Jones
10-15-2003, 10:07 AM
I never use any less than 20fps.

halibut
10-15-2003, 09:23 PM
It really depends on what you are trying to do. Traditional NTFS is 30 fps. Warner brothers animated on two's, so if you thought Bugs Bunny was smooth animation, that's the equivelant of 15 fps. Character animation can be pulled off nicely at 12 or 15 fps, but smooth scrolling backrounds or motion graphics need higher frame rates to play more smoothly.

Then you have to take into consideration how complex the objects you want to move around are. If they are complex vectors or bitmaps (worst-case scenario: animated text over raster background), no matter how high you pump the frame rate, the playback will not be smooth if the user's system cannot redraw the frames fast enough.

Also, unless you are dealing with motion graphics, straight tweens, etc., the most important parts of making objects appear to move well are placement, timing, and drawing. Well-placed, well-drawn frames will appear to flow smoothly at lower frame rates, poorly-placed, poorly-drawn frames will not appear to be smooth no matter how high you pump the frame rate.

Michael Chen
10-15-2003, 09:55 PM
Yeah it really depends on what you do.

For example sites with alot of transitions (i.e. 2advanced) the frame rate should be between 24 fps and 36 fps.

For cartoon animation the perferred frame rate is 12 fps ~ 15 fps.

These are just my opinions and what I've heard :)

Hope that helped :)

jrwells
10-19-2003, 02:45 AM
Thanks all who have replied, that gives me something to work with.

maular
10-20-2003, 04:40 AM
Quote from the chattyfig mailing list (http://chattyfig.figleaf.com/flashcoders-wiki/index.php?Bugs)
"Speed on Mac differs significantly from pc if you don't use framerates like 16,21,31,59 "

I haven't experimented with this personally, but I use 31 fps to be safe.

Ian Jones
10-20-2003, 05:18 AM
Actually, I think we have had a framerate discussion here before. Somebody mentioned a bit about Mac <> PC rates being different and how to work around them properly.

jrwells
10-20-2003, 06:46 AM
If anybody remembers that discussion, or knows off the top of their head, or can find the old discussion I would appreciate it greatly.

Another quick question, what do ya'll feel should be the safest maximum file size for the intro movie and initial site?

Ian Jones
10-20-2003, 09:52 AM
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39082&highlight=framerate

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.