PDA

View Full Version : Render Passes

disneyschumi
01-05-2011, 01:33 PM
Hi guys..I am new here and i am working in a small setup studio and we doing pilot work and i need help..
I have few Questions regarding Render Passes...

How do we take render passes in Maya 2011 while rendering with Mental ray...when i use the passes some come out fine and some comes completely blank.

and what are the render passes we need to take in general..i know its completely depends on wht and how we planning to composite but i want to know the main passes and how we can achieve it.

And how can we take passes for SSS shaders/...

Please help out guys and guide me in right direction if any reference u ppl have, please share here and any free tutorial available on net please help me find one..

Thanks and Regards
Utsav

RickToxik
02-02-2011, 09:34 AM
Fffff..... This is vast subject!.. I'm not 100% sure of everything I say here, but I'll give it a try.
You really need to experiment with render layers, I am not totally comfortable with it myself. but you might want to consider these facts:

- some passes only support certain file formats
- some passes only support certain framebuffer's depth
(uh, I think. some passes only render properly in 8 bits)
- some passes only support certain renderer

From these 3 facts you have a whole world of new topics... You definitly want to learn how to work with Open EXR and understand how to open those files in Maya Composite / Toxik. Render in 32 bits if you're serious...

If you work with Mental Ray, you have a lot of "what passes you should render" in the documentation. I believe you need to upgrade your mia_x material though to output some passes. If you ask me, when I need to render passes, most of the time I render a zdepth, a beauty, an ambient occlusion, a reflection, and a matte pass. Some of those passes at least. But when I'll be tha pro and I'll be directing Terminator XIV, I will output every passes specified in the mental ray documentation (in the mia_x output section).

I would advise you to render one pass at the time in a simple scene as a starting point to understand how to correct those blank passes.

Let me know if you find good tutorials on the subject...

Take a walk to MasterZap's website.

disneyschumi
02-02-2011, 03:39 PM
Thanks a Lot man...I have fair idea of wht u talking...Its just i wanted to know wht happens in an production house...i do work with openExr most of the time..but i work i small production house so wanted to know more in detail..
the problem i had was...how do i take SSS pass...the SSS pass shader works fine with render passes..but wht about others..is there any way to take render passes for non supported shader..if not passes then using render layers..and what passes dont support 32bit...

Regards
Utsav

CGTalk Moderation
02-02-2011, 03:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.