PDA

View Full Version : Asking for the basics.

dinglingling
10-15-2003, 06:24 AM
I am new to 3D CG.

I searched on the net for modeling tutorials, and I found there are actually a lot of them. However I found these tutorials seldomly talk about concepts or theories. What I am trying to say is, most tutorials tell the reader to do this or not to do this without telling the reasons behind the actions.

Is there any resource about the basic but essential concepts about 3D modeling?
Or maybe you have got some precious experience for learners, could you share with us?

Thanks in advance.

gmask
10-15-2003, 06:34 AM
be effecient ..only use enough detail to make the shape.. too much detail makes it difficult to animate with..

work in quads as much as possible if you are converting to sub-d's or smoothing otherwise you end up with bad topology..

use toplogy that folows natural lines and flow inthe object ssurface.. espeically if it is organic.. this will not only help make it realistic but also aid in animation

learn the ways of XDUGEF but don't ask why ;-)

dinglingling
10-15-2003, 07:35 AM
well,
whatz XDUGEF?:blush:

I checked a website about XDUGEF, however, the links are bad.

Emberghost
10-15-2003, 07:44 AM
What program do you use? I know you are not asking for tuts for a specific program but it couldn't hurt:surprised

dinglingling
10-15-2003, 08:19 AM
I am using Maya 5.0 unlimited edition.

Any kind of help is appreciated.

BazC
10-15-2003, 09:27 AM
I've never used Maya so I can't help much there but I think the best approach in any package is to learn a few basic tools, just half a dozen or so, and start making things of your own without following a tutorial Tutorials are great but like you say they don't often teach the ideas behind the action, personal experiment is best for that.
Decide which type of modelling to use, box, poly by poly, spline, nurbs (Maya does Nurbs doesn't it?) and get a good feeling for that technique before worrying about others.
Once you feel comfortable with that technique and toolset you can add more. Maya is a hugely complex application which may seem overwhelming at first but remember you don't need to learn everything at once!
XDUGEF is a special advanced technique practised by Tibetan monks in remote regions of Cricklewood and requires years of training and meditation and a diet of Yak butter sandwiches to be practised effectively. Don't worry about it! - Baz

dinglingling
10-15-2003, 03:05 PM
Thanks everyone.:thumbsup:

I will work hard!:shrug:

BTW, XUDGEF sounds not bad.

Ibox
10-15-2003, 06:16 PM
XDUGEF is a special advanced technique practised by Tibetan monks in remote regions of Cricklewood and requires years of training and meditation and a diet of Yak butter sandwiches to be practised effectively. Don't worry about it! - Baz

hahaha, good one Baz... :D

I sort of think that it has been brought to our attention lately because many are really starting to catch onto basic modeling eh... and thus the more experienced types are attempting to throw up a smoke screen to lead astray those who would otherwise be much better off just keeping on thier present modeling ways... XDUGEF... like whatever... not even a good marketing ploy :D haha, too funny really...

dwin
10-16-2003, 01:17 AM
When I get jump into 3D, I bought some book. A good book is a non-specific software book, because it covers a lot of basic about 3D. After that you can jump into a specific software's book. Remember software only support you. Forums are a good resource too for learning 3D. Ask if you don't understand about something. There isn't any stupid question.

Hope this can help:p

dinglingling
10-16-2003, 02:09 AM
dwin, I do agree with you that

Originally posted by dwin
A good book is a non-specific software book, because it covers a lot of basic about 3D. ...software only support you. Forums are a good resource too for learning 3D. ... There isn't any stupid question.

I just wonder what does everyone think is the basic about 3D?
things like MUST-Know or pre-requirements.

dwin
10-16-2003, 06:45 AM
Ok! Good question. There are some modeling technique in 3D like NURBS, Polygon, Sub-d, and another... When I first jump in 3D I don't know about all this things. So find a book that covers this thing will give you a knowledge about them. There are some topology about character that you should consider in modeling because you will use that for texturing and animating

Even you want to focus in modeling, but another parts from 3D are important. Even you can model a complex thing but you can't get it texture well or you don't even lit it well, you will get a poor result. All the aspects in 3D are important, but we must do modeling in our first move.

hope this can help:)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.