PDA

View Full Version : Create simple desert sand?

FalineFarwell
01-04-2011, 10:02 PM
I need to create simple sand on a nurbs surface that will interact with my characters feet. I cant afford RealFlow so I was wondering if anyone had a simple way to do this without too many hours of work.
Thanks! :)

Here is a shot of the scene i need to add sand to.

http://i799.photobucket.com/albums/yy276/Falinef/Untitled.png

Calibrix
01-05-2011, 12:27 AM
I think the best way to do this is using a combination of blends and particles. You can make blends or deformations on the nurbs surface for the bulk of the sand when a character steps on it. Blue Sky did something like this for the snow in Ice Age. Then you can add a particle layer on top of that so you can have little grains of sand that react dynamically.
Good luck.

mandark1011
01-05-2011, 01:08 AM
you could try using ncloth. I haven't done this but seems reasonable that if your dudes were passive colliders and you had another passive just below your "sand" layer you could make the cloth react the way you wanted.

good luck

FalineFarwell
01-05-2011, 01:21 AM
I think the best way to do this is using a combination of blends and particles. You can make blends or deformations on the nurbs surface for the bulk of the sand when a character steps on it. Blue Sky did something like this for the snow in Ice Age. Then you can add a particle layer on top of that so you can have little grains of sand that react dynamically.
Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback! Is there a tutorial or write up on how to make the sand particle layer? I dont use dynamics often.

rasamaya
01-05-2011, 06:38 AM
The soup plugin/tools found on a thread here at cgtalk could give you some tools to get the job done with some good sand textures and a few particles.

CGTalk Moderation
01-05-2011, 06:38 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.