PDA

View Full Version : Running Maya on Debian Linux

MonkeyNinja
06-01-2002, 01:42 PM
I have been trying to get Maya to run on Debian but I keep running into a Segfault when I try to start it.

My configuration so far is the Sid version of debian running kernel 2.4.18, I followed the limited instructions at this site http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=5235 my first though on what might be wrong is that the libs arent registering or whatever but then wouldnt the program complain about it instead of segfaulting?

ZrO-1
06-01-2002, 03:49 PM
Well Maya was made to run on RedHat's compilation of the linux kernel not Debain. I'm guessing you're using some sort of force or file conversion for the Debain system? If so that's pro'lly where your problem lies. Just keep in mind it was never meant to run on Debain it was meant for RedHat.

MonkeyNinja
06-01-2002, 05:41 PM
I know maya was made with RedHat in mind but I'm already so comfy with Debian that i'm sticking with that no matter what.

Other people seem to be able to run Maya on Debian with no problems what so ever, but the only guide I can find searching through google is that article on Linuxjournal.

I was kind of fishing for an easy step by step instruction on the conversion and installation process from someone who has done it or at least tips. :-)

MonkeyNinja
06-01-2002, 09:33 PM
The splashscreen comes up then dies following the maya.bin error

---------------------------------------
monkey@propellar:/usr/aw/maya4.0/bin$ ./Maya4.0
Mayaź, Version 4.0.1, Mon Nov 12 23:35:39 EST 2001
Copyright 1997-2001 Alias|Wavefront, a division of Silicon Graphics Limited.
All rights reserved.

Graph Layout Toolkit
Copyright 1992-1997 Tom Sawyer Software, Berkeley, California
All rights reserved.

/usr/aw/maya4.0/bin/maya.bin encountered a fatal error

Signal: 11 (Unknown Signal)
Attempting to save in
/usr/tmp/monkey.020601.2127.ma
monkey@propellar:/usr/aw/maya4.0/bin$
---------------------------------------

UrbanFuturistic
06-01-2002, 09:42 PM
Sid's 'unstable' isn't it? Go figure :rolleyes:

I thought Woody would have been current enough to run Maya.

Asides from this, if Maya's started from a terminal window, is there descriptive output? At what point does it segfault? Is there a command line switch that allows you to make the output more 'verbose' (I'm guessing maya --help might give you a few pointers(1))?

Otherwise it could be any one of a million reasons. Quake 3 Arena segfaults under RedHat and Mandrake because they use an i686 optimised glibc which causes it to 'receive signal 11' on sound initialisation and you have to compile a short piece of code and set an environment variable to get it working.

Just an example of how obscure the reason could well be.
regards, Paulhttp://homepage.ntlworld.com/odubtaig/smilies/coffee.gif

(1)Maya, or whatever the command name is

MonkeyNinja
06-01-2002, 10:39 PM
ok I used -help and saw no switch for increased verbosity but I tried out -prompt and fired maya up in prompt mode, no complaints and it delivered me to the mel prompt (to bad I dont know how to use it propperly)

i found a file /usr/tmp/log_aGsLPGZ

it contained dis:

#FEATURE MayaUnltd sgiawd 4.000 permanent uncounted 3729790CB870 HOSTID=0000b4a8bf87
#FEATURE MayaAdvM sgiawd 4.000 permanent uncounted 556AF0CF1445 HOSTID=0000b4a8bf87
#FEATURE MayaComplete sgiawd 4.000 permanent uncounted 8291D1AF8268 HOSTID=0000b4a8bf87
#FEATURE MayaClothSim sgiawd 4.000 permanent uncounted E04BB4B28287 HOSTID=0000b4a8bf87
#FEATURE MayaRender sgiawd 4.000 permanent uncounted 59FC1C21D5F6 HOSTID=0000b4a8bf87
FEATURE MayaUnltd sgiawd 4.000 permanent uncounted 3729790CB870 HOSTID=0000b4a8bf87
FEATURE MayaAdvM sgiawd 4.000 permanent uncounted 556AF0CF1445 HOSTID=0000b4a8bf87
FEATURE MayaComplete sgiawd 4.000 permanent uncounted 8291D1AF8268 HOSTID=0000b4a8bf87
FEATURE MayaClothSim sgiawd 4.000 permanent uncounted E04BB4B28287 HOSTID=0000b4a8bf87
FEATURE MayaRender sgiawd 4.000 permanent uncounted 59FC1C21D5F6 HOSTID=0000b4a8bf87

I know I really should just RTFM some more but as I said,
I am hoping that someone who has been through the process on Debian could help me out so I can help the next fella out :beer:

ZrO-1
06-01-2002, 11:10 PM
Well, I'm afraid I'm not going to be much help 'cause I only casually use Mandrake 8.2 and RedHat 7.1. I've never used Debain. :shrug: Anyway, I do have one idea you might want to try. I know Maya for NT is up to ver 4.0.2 if A|W has version 4.0.2 upgrade out for linux you might want to try installing the upgrade.

Also do you know the URL for the Maya for Linux site? I've looked all over A|W's site and can't find a thing for linux. :annoyed:

MonkeyNinja
06-01-2002, 11:41 PM
Doesn't seem to be a page dedicated to Maya for linux there though OSX sort of has one :wip:

If one would be a registered user linux related support would be at ones fingertips but I am still doing cheap tricks on 3DsMax until I can affor Maya :thumbsup:

UrbanFuturistic
06-01-2002, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by MonkeyNinja
I know I really should just RTFM some more ...and to be honest that's all I can confidently recommend right now having neither debian (sid) nor Maya and currently finding jack on the Google Groups.

Things you might want to try:

Check /var/log/ for anything relevant, if Maya's doing more for Linux compatability than just RPM packages then there might be something there.

Try re-installing as it's possible one of the libs or plugins is corrupted (as can happen to any software) and this might just fix the problem... although it's unlikely.

Check its dependencies and check which versions of those you have. Any major change in version number (such as version 2.4 -> 3.1) or compilation for a different architecture (such as i686/Athlon instead of i386) may be causing problems.

ls for .maya* .*ay* and any other variations you can think of in your home directory and trawl through the results (if any).

You could try e-mailing A|W support and hunting for debian mailing lists but, as you're running what die-hard stability fans call bleeding-edge tech(1), support may not be forthcoming.

Last but not least, I can almost guarantee your problems are caused by using an 'unstable' release of debian. This segfault problem is most likely caused by an incompatability with some library or other or a mangled piece of code that only Maya would use. If you're bent on sticking with Debian (and most people use it for stability rather than features or ease of use) then it's highly advisable to switch to Woody (testing, almost stable now) or go for something like Libranet (http://www.libranet.com), a debian (potato) based distro with updated kernel and XFree86 server
regards, Paulhttp://homepage.ntlworld.com/odubtaig/smilies/coffee.gif

(1)Which people usually download to help in bugfixing and feature addition

MonkeyNinja
06-03-2002, 08:55 PM
Well I got Maya to run and you were right Odubtaig.
Sid was the problem, I switched to Woodie and whoop every single thing worked without a hitch now I can start focusing on working in linux rather than spending hours trying to get things working :D

Thank you all very much and see you on the forums :beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.