PDA

View Full Version : Rigging Armor

Comar93
01-04-2011, 01:29 AM
Hi there...

I am currently modeling an armored medieval fantasy knight and I want to prepare myself for the rigging part by doing the model the right way. My question is - What is required to rig armor plates and shoulder pads and other gear to the base body skinned mesh? I figure this is quite dificult to achieve without having armor intersect with the body mesh.. Can someone point me to a good tutorial or DVD that shows this or explain how would I go about rigging the armor..

My greatest inspiration is the World of Warcraft Wotlk cinematic (google it, but I doubt you haven't seen it)

Is there anything I have to know before I start modeling the armor? Should I model the armor in a specific mechanical way?

How will I rig everything to act correctly? Reactor? If with reactor how do I achieve that?

Simply linking the armor plates to the coresponding bones will not do the job..

Please help! I wish to know how is it done in professional 3D companies and great cinematics like the one previously mentioned..

scrimski
01-04-2011, 08:28 AM
Simply linking the armor plates to the coresponding bones will not do the job..Why not? Usually it's exactly done like taht.
Attachment constraints on the skinned mesh would work too.

Comar93
01-04-2011, 02:31 PM
Yeah, and that would work for attached armor parts like wristguards and knee armor but the shoulder pauldrons I would have to use key to key animation or reactor physics rigging or something like that, they are consisted of 3 layers and everything would intersect with everything if I was to just link them to the shoulder bone... And I'm not even sure if the breastplate would work by linking because the spine rig is made out of more parts and not just one big part that would act as the bone for the breastplate.. Maybe if I create a spring dynamic between the spine bones and attach the breastplate to the spring bone, but still that would leave me with the shoulder gear...

nuternativ
01-04-2011, 02:49 PM
This may not a world-professional-way, but for rigging, I would create joints for all of them, piece by piece. Do some constraints for automate some movement along with the body, create some controls for extra control over them.

Comar93
01-04-2011, 04:01 PM
I've always wondered how do they make automated rigs that make everything work in realtime like chest jumping , props like guns and armor reacting to movement without having to animate key to key... I simply worship rigs like that, when there's a character, and everything just works... I wish I found a tutorial or DVD explaining that...

nuternativ
01-05-2011, 12:39 AM
I think using hair dynamic curve on splineIk would get the job done for reasonable price. Crank the stiffness or input curve attract up high for some armor to, like, move around. Not real time, but you can make a switch to control how hard it dynamically moves.

Comar93
01-05-2011, 02:09 PM
I think using hair dynamic curve on splineIk would get the job done for reasonable price. Crank the stiffness or input curve attract up high for some armor to, like, move around. Not real time, but you can make a switch to control how hard it dynamically moves.

I don't understand. :)

nuternativ
01-06-2011, 12:18 AM
my method:

-create joints for all pieces of armor, one at the point where it should be the rotate pivot of the piece, another one at the tip.
-make some controls, group them twice, first group is the zero grp for keeping your ctrl zero transformation values. The second being constrainted to the nearby body joint(can be more than one parent). Constraint the joint to the control.
- draw a spline curve with 2 CVs, one at the base joint, another at the tip.
-create spline ik out of those joints ant curve.
-duplicate the curve as a dynamic curve. Go to dynamic>hair>make selected curve dynamic
-blend between the spline curve and the dynamic curve using blendShape.
-smooth bind using only the base joint.
-in the attribute editor of the follicle node, change the 'point lock' to 'base'.

That's it, the armor should flop around on your command of turning the blendShape on or off. You may want to crank up the stiffness or the input curve attack as to make it not too floppy and add some collide sphere for it to collide on also.

hope this helps. excuse my english.

Comar93
01-06-2011, 01:00 AM
That's hard to understand for someone that has never gone beyond basic skin rigging :)

It sounds like it works but I would need illustrations for my mind to get this :)

Thanks anyway, I'll google the stuff you typed and try to research it a bit, animation and rigging is really my weak spot, that's why I'm trying to learn..

Thanks for your time :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-06-2011, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.