PDA

View Full Version : Is there a script or plugin to create preset lights i created?

arnee84
01-03-2011, 03:43 PM
Hi guys

Firstly.. Happy new year

My problem is I create large scenes for retail design with 100's of lights, and i always have the bad luck of ending with a few lights which don't conform to my standard settings. eg: when i create a new omni light or photometric light its settings are still set to (use global setting). Does anyone know of a way to change the presets/standard, or have a script/plugin which alows me to create lights which already conform to the preset setting which i designate.

Thanks

Arnold

Kickflipkid687
01-03-2011, 06:00 PM
If you open the MaxScript Help under Help and search for Light you can see all the commands you can use for a Light Node.

So there is for example

Light Common Properties, Operators, and Methods<light>.type Name default: #freeDirect

So then if you selected a Light Node in the viewport and in the F11 (Listener) window typed in

$.type = #omni, it should change to an omni light type.

Although if you are instancing lights or anything, you should do something like

local theSelection = selection[1]
theSelection.type = #omni
ect..

This is because $ doesn't refer to the actual object you have selected, but the root/parent node I think, so selection[1] will grab what you actually have selected.

CGTalk Moderation
01-03-2011, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.