PDA

View Full Version : Beginner needs advice !

bernhard
01-02-2011, 09:54 PM
Hello everyone,

and happy new year.

Just started with a beginner lection after reading the Loomis books.
I try to paint simple objects, like boxes, cylinder forms, etc.

But I am kind of stuck when I try to get more detail, and starting the next level of the painting.

Because I am an absolute beginner, I was thinking to start just with black/white painting as well as easy shapes. But the my main question is:

How to get more details ?
what's the next step after roughly blocking some basic shapes ?

Zoom in ? Changing Brushes ? Blending ?

Below the link to the painting..... I hope it works, just got my Ipad and playing around with sketchbook pro. thx for your help, hints and ideas.

Painting (http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/47515670@N02/5317797328/sizes/l/)

Lunatique
01-03-2011, 08:30 AM
Block in large shapes with large brushes, medium shapes with medium sized brushes, and detailed with small brushes. Also, make the distinction between hard-edged brushes, soft-edged brushes, and textured brushes. Use hard-edged brushes when you need sharp edges, and use soft brushes when you need smooth gradation, and textured brushes when you need a textured surface. There are also many different ways to customize brushes--for example, I can take a simple hard-edged round brush and then customize it so that a single stroke with it will give me pretty convincing looking group of leaves of slightly different greens, values, and saturation, without having to actually paint every single leaf. The next run of the workshop I'm teaching starts in a couple of weeks (linked in my signature)--you might want to take a look and see if it's something you're interested in.

bernhard
01-03-2011, 10:42 PM
Thank you very much Robert !

First I tried to switch from a soft brush to a hard brush, and I guess I know what you mean.
I also could see that it's important to know how the shadow should theoretical fall.

For this reason I followed Loomis Shadow study with one light source.
Here is the image..... did I do this right ?

Shadow (http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/47515670@N02/5321928386/sizes/l/)

Next thing I do have problems is the perspective.
I thought I take the book as my orientation point for the perspective.
When ever I think I am not positioning the objects right into perspective to the book, I try to paint over a box.

For some reason, I can't figure out a way to get the ground parts right. I mean the round shapes of the glas and the candle-holder you can see at the picture below.

Perspective (http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/47515670@N02/5321323803/sizes/l/)

I stopped making more details, because I think I should first fix the things I already can see that there is something wrong, right ?

Thx for your help.

@robert:
thank you Robert - I would love to sign up for your class, but like always, time is against me.

Lunatique
01-04-2011, 04:18 AM
It looks to me you are going a bit faster than you should. I suggest you do this--actually copy the exact examples Loomis draws in the book as demonstration--just copy them as closely as you can. Do a batch of those as practice (from the most simple ones to the most complex ones) before you try to construct your own scene. I'm sure after you've done that, you'll see why yours has problems.

bernhard
01-05-2011, 05:43 PM
hehe... yep, really looks like I run a bit fast.... which specific examples are you referring at the Loomis books ?

I started with "Fun with a pencil" and I scrolled through the others.... but I couldn't find such easy examples with simple shapes, like boxes, cylinders, etc... hmm...did I miss something ?

Or did you mean something else ?

chien
01-06-2011, 01:39 AM
hello everyone happy new year

@lunatique - good to know that the discussion on art foundation that cover the fundamentals we all need still are in active, it's too important to let go, in fact it's our only base of learning even keep progressing, back here in malaysia I still have seen how my juniors try to different stage without any basic or polishing and their fundementals are still well needs alot of work.

I kept the andrew loomis books until now that you introduced to me since 2005, gratefull for your help, is your workshops still open? I might plan to join maybe a year later for more training(enough is never enough, or I'm just greedy to make mistakes and learn)

Lunatique
01-06-2011, 04:07 AM
hehe... yep, really looks like I run a bit fast.... which specific examples are you referring at the Loomis books ?

I started with "Fun with a pencil" and I scrolled through the others.... but I couldn't find such easy examples with simple shapes, like boxes, cylinders, etc... hmm...did I miss something ?

Or did you mean something else ?

Successful Drawing has examples where he demonstrates fairly simple perspective drawings, and also basic lighting/values.

is your workshops still open?

It's open for enrollment right now. :)

bernhard
01-06-2011, 04:18 PM
oohh, thank you Robert... indeed... I missed that book !

CGTalk Moderation
01-06-2011, 04:18 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.