PDA

View Full Version : environment: tarot card/the tower

amoe
10-14-2003, 10:51 PM
hi everyone

this is the first time i post here.

this is card i painted for the tarot project on eatpoo. i hope u like it.

http://brainslug.wootsoft.com/~wigal/tower8.jpg
(photoshop 7 / wacom)

c&c are of corse wellcome

-amoe_

Kirt
10-15-2003, 12:03 AM
It turned out really nice amoe. Love the lightning and sense of gloom in this one. The rat was a good touch. Excellent work on this one.

Welcome to CGTalk :wavey:

leigh
10-15-2003, 01:58 AM
That's looking great :)

Your thread caught my eye because I've been a Tarot card reader for many, many years and have actually been designing and structuring a new minor arcana suit for a few years now, as well as writing a book on it - I'm an avid entusiast on the intricacies of the deck, the history of it, and it's uses today. Fascinating stuff :)

I think the lighting may be a teeny bit too strong, but I guess that's a nitpicky gripe. I like the fact that you added comets to the sky - the card is about shock and destructive energies, and the devestation of flaming comets certainly suits this theme, as opposed to the traditional tower that is simply flaming.

Expanding on the meaning of the card, it might be of benefit to add some more cracking around the base of the card, as it often represents the collapse of foundations, and structural weaknesses as a whole.

The card also has a lot to do with release from captivity, which is why many traditional decks include the figures of a man and a woman leaping from the tower as it crumbles. Not sure if the figures would really look right in this particular image though, as they would probably be so small as to be insignificant.

If I was to be purist I would question the addition of the rat. While it certainly looks great the way you've done it, the animal and what it traditionally represents has nothing to do with the significance and meaning of the card itself. However, it does bring an attractive visual appeal to the border of the image nonetheless.

Very good work overall though :)

amoe
10-15-2003, 01:46 PM
hi kirt. thanx alot ;)

leigh: thank you too. i am really happy a tarot card reader likes my stuff.

i got many critiques about the lightning and i changed it four times. IT S PERFECT AS IT IS!!! hahaha

Not sure if the figures would really look right in this particular image though, as they would probably be so small as to be insignificant. exactly! ;)

Expanding on the meaning of the card, it might be of benefit to add some more cracking around the base of the card, as it often represents the collapse of foundations, and structural weaknesses as a whole. good point. maybe i will add some cracks...

the rat is more or less eyecandy :)

-armin-

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.