PDA

View Full Version : rigging questions( I know very original thread title)

mastone
01-02-2011, 04:52 AM
Hi all
I was wondering if there was some rigging guru here online who can help me with this one.
I know some basics of rigging a character but I am by no means an expert, I enjoy rigging just as much as doing UV mapping and scripting.....tedious work with no real visible result in short, but here goes:

I am stumbling on a few problems( I at least percieve them as problems maybe it is easy);
-How can I drive a highpoly character through a low poly rig/character? I don't mean a wrap deformer because this crashes Maya when I tried to apply it, with highpoly I mean somewhere around 50.000 to a 100.000 polygons.......
-How can I achieve something similar to pinning like in motionbuilder, because now when I pull the IK controller (of the hand for instance) further then it's reach the body stops moving and I basically want it to pull the character up or downwards, this makes it easier for posing, instead of having to rotate the torso pelvis etc.

Thanks in advance

below is an image of my progress thusfar:
http://www.eyellem.nl/rigging.jpg

Boucha
01-02-2011, 07:12 AM
wrap is very hardware intensive ... go for skin cluster ... u can skin the high poly mesh with the same joints and just simply copy the skin weights from low poly to high poly. u can toggle hiding of mesh while animating and rendering !

nuternativ
01-02-2011, 10:53 AM
Hi,

For the second question, pinning is done in maya by having your controls linked with others using constraints (not to direct parented in the hierarchy). with constraints you can change(or animate) the weight of each parent individualy just to have your arm to follow the chest control, the root control, both of them or none of them.

sorry for my english.

hope this helps.

mastone
01-02-2011, 09:32 PM
Hi guys

Thanks!

mastone
01-06-2011, 12:52 AM
Well I managed to get pinning to work on the rig I needed to group the backcontrol twice though ( for the left armcontrol and right arm control constraint), because everytime I added the second constraint it , the constraint tried to interpolate between the 2 constraints which resulted in his head snapping to the left and/or right, but once I figured out the grouping trick it worked.

With copying skin weights I assume I should bind the high ress and copy the skinweights to the low ress ( since it's better to downscale then to upscale , much like image compression you can't assign what isn't there)
I just bought two pdf 's today : art of rigging 1&2, which are very insightfull and I hoped it would explain " everything" , it explained a lot but alas not quite everything so once again I ask for your aid with these questions regarding facial rigging:
In all the tutorials/books i have, i see that the riggers in question separate the head(+neck) from the body or at least start with a separate head, i think they do this for demonstrational purpose to keep things clear but you"ll never know..
as a consequence of this i don't see the full picture at least not for what to aim, I want to use joints for
the majority of the movements and use blendshapes to correct or do additive shapes for which it doesn't matter if they are linear interpolated, so I think I will manage setting stuff up, what is a bit unclear is a little thing called driven displacement, since I will eventually render the character with displacement I want the texture to follow the body/face movement so I don't get textureswimming lookalikes in all tutorials/books it is roughly mentioned, but never properly explained ( at least not for me), I gathered that you can use multiply divide nodes in the hypershade to connect the blendshape movements somehow but how does this work with joint based deformation, how would I need to set it up.
So this is either ridicilously easy or headcrunching complex ( I hope the first :), but fear the last )

Thanks in advance guys

CGTalk Moderation
01-06-2011, 12:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.