PDA

View Full Version : Nebulous Environment

mj3dvfx
01-02-2011, 12:41 AM
Hope everyone has had a great holiday.

I've been charged with creating a cinematic nebulous / space environment for this commercial spot I'm working on and was hoping I could get a little help or direction on how to go about creating it. I'm really looking to create something close to the image provided below. This image was grabbed from a Sony spot Superfad did a while back.

It's definitely not a one solution type of effect in my opinion. I'm thinking sprites for the stars or possibly paint effects layered with maybe maya fluids for the space dust. I'm just not sure where to start. It seems daunting at the moment and Im reaching out to see if anyone has any ideas. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

dizzyone
01-02-2011, 10:01 PM
The effect looks like something you could easily achieve with fluids and particles.

A good place to start would be to check out the visor, I believe theres a few fluid examples for nebulas and that sorta thing. Good luck.

hkspowers
01-02-2011, 11:24 PM
There was a similar thread a while back with some useful information.

Maya Nebula (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=86&t=862044)

ganzo
01-03-2011, 09:57 AM
If you are not going to fly through it or heavy animation on it....I would just go for a 2.5D solution. Otherwise....you can use a combination of fluids and particles....like someone else said....the visor should contain some example....but a starting point would be to manually paint particles.

mj3dvfx
01-03-2011, 10:54 PM
Hey James! How is Sony treating you? I read through your post and yea, it seems that sprites / paint effects and maya fluids are pretty much the way to go.

The camera won't be flying through, but images will be forming out of the galaxy via particles of some kind. Should be a pretty cool spot when it's finished.

At this point I'm just planning to layer, layer, layer.

Thanks for the input everyone.

hkspowers
01-03-2011, 11:05 PM
Hey James! How is Sony treating you? I read through your post and yea, it seems that sprites / paint effects and maya fluids are pretty much the way to go.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Hey Matt, I didn't realize it was you under that name haha. Sony has been good to me, where are you at the moment? Please excuse my terrible comping skills in my example but the base idea is there. The paintfx brushes for the stars and the dark matter are surprisingly good. If I had to do it all over again I would just paint a really nice high res image like on the bottom example for the background instead of using sprite stars because the sprite stars were a pain to tweak and if I had to reposition some in a certain patch or something it was easier to just do it in Photoshop or with painfx and render out a giant map. Also the sprites had caching to worry about. Let me know what you end up doing. I checked out your reel looking nice man. :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-03-2011, 11:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.