PDA

View Full Version : Realistic Dust Effects

disneyschumi
12-31-2010, 05:44 AM
Hi Guys i am Very new in the field of Vfx. I am trying to achieve a an realistic dust effect and i need help/..i am not able to achieve it..can u guys help me out, how to achieve this effect and whts the best approach...

Wht i am trying to achieve is...There is will dust which is covered on the floor and when the wind blows and all the dust particals will disperse...whts the best way to create this to get very realistic results...is it Maya particals or Maya Fluids...and how to achieve it... Please guys help me out here..

Thanks and Regards
Utsav

Robbyh
12-31-2010, 09:35 PM
have you even tryed experimenting with it ?

multiple ways of doing that.
dozins of tutorials for that
id use particles. they are a litle eazyer to do.
then again if your experienced you will maybe prefer fluids.
'
basicaly it depends alot on what you are experienced with ?

IRAFK
01-01-2011, 06:37 AM
I would suggest particles. I would create the scene, setup lights, etc and then create a volume of "dust", let them fall to the floor(or, use the particle create tool and just paint them on the floor). If your going to use the volume method as apposed to just painting them where you want them, after you have let the scatter across the floor (going to need to use a gravity field, maybe even a turbulence field to spread them out randomly)select the scattered particles that are on the floor and use Initial State, that will lock them in place so that when you get ready to animate and render them out, they will be lying on the floor and not in the shape of the inital volume you used to create them :) Make sense?

Play with the particles attributes until you get a good looking dust particle, mess with their weight, color etc, etc. Then for making them blow away, add an air field and a turbulence, or perhaps a radial, if you wanted a swirl effect, as if a vortex was created by a swinging door, or a passer by's leg. Thats a good start.

If you have never done this before and have no idea what I'm talking about, I would definitely advise you to invest in buying some tutorials. Digital Tutors dot com is a great source. 3dBuzz dot com is also good and I think they are a little cheaper?

Happy New Year!

disneyschumi
01-01-2011, 06:22 PM
Thanks a lot dude...i am not new i have used particals and fluid i do understood all the points u told...but its just i am not able to get that realistic production look and feel...do i have to emit fluid from the particals to get that dust feel...or i can just use partical cloud or sprites? wht i am trying to active is.

A thick dust will be scattered around the ground and when the wind blows it should disperse...i am getting the simulation but not the feel and look of it..and if i try emitting fluid from particals, fluid tends to get very soft feel to it and very dense..
I want to know whts the best way to texture and get the feel a very realistic and want my simulation to have sand and dust..when the sand is blown away it will have that weight in it..and the dust particals will have and dynamics motions...
i am getting the simulation just not getting the real feel...Please help me guys and give me some reference it will be great help...

Regards
Utsav

P.S Thanks a lots Josh and Rob, I really appreciate for ur time to share ur knowledge and to reply here///

IRAFK
01-01-2011, 08:04 PM
Well, We wonít need an emitter for this scene since the particles will be static and then becoming dynamic with the help of the wind. I would scrape the emitter idea. :p

Letís go ahead and see your scene setup and take it from there. Do you have the scene created? If so, go ahead and post a wire or pre render.

disneyschumi
01-02-2011, 05:26 AM
Sure i will just upload the playblast...and my scene file too..

bjohnston
01-26-2011, 05:54 PM
Nparticles might work for this as they are alot more dynamic and behave much more realistically than straight dumb particles. That way one can controll the wind and turbulence params in the nSolver (more efficient) rather than setting up and animating separate fields.

You may well need more particles than your machine can handle so a work around may be to use a combination of nParticles on top combined with an animated texture or a fluid container on the bottom
or just render out many different layers and comp em...

T

HowardM
01-27-2011, 10:01 AM
do a search, theres a few nice fluids dust examples posted in the past year here...

gives you great motion, and you can always attach particles to it if needed....

disneyschumi
01-27-2011, 03:04 PM
Guys Thanks for all the suggestions...but i need dust effect found in the following video, but i want that dust to be first settled on the ground and it should be blown away by the wind..and shadows are important, but the problem is the ground layer is a Matte and the effect will be composited..

Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwjCrfnHUO8

disneyschumi
01-27-2011, 03:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnmouki8tNk&NR=1

and the one like this...

bjohnston
01-27-2011, 05:47 PM
I would try emitting Fluid from nParticles to achieve the bursting Dust...

bjohnston
01-27-2011, 05:49 PM
Standard fluid emission or even cloudShaded particles could achieve the second helocopter wash effect...

For fluid, create a container that has its bottom resting far enouch below your "gound" plane to create a space for your "dust". Create a plane, set it at the bottom of the fluid container and set it as a fluid emitter. Then emit from the plane with bouyancy set to 0. Use a volumeAxis field or use motion fields parented to the geo to get the fluid moving......

CGTalk Moderation
01-27-2011, 05:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.