PDA

View Full Version : Particles inherit color from surface camera projection?

eaclou
12-30-2010, 02:02 AM
I have an image plane (landscape photo), and some simple geometry (acting as the ground) and I'm looking for a way to emit particles from that surface, but inherit the color from the camera projection.

Is this possible with Maya 2009?

I basically want to replace the ground geo with a sheet of particles which would inherit color from the ground surface (which in turn received its color from a camera projection)

tristanm
12-30-2010, 07:13 PM
You will want to select your emission surface and your projection shader:
Go to Hypershade and Edit> Convert to file texture..this will create a file texture for the projection..
Please note..in order for this to work..you cannot have overlapping uvs...it will crash..if you have an animated projection..I suggest looking for a texture sequence baking script....I had one some years ago but cannot find it at the moment..
It automated the Convert to file texture command over a specified frame range...so that I could bake animated lighting into a sequence of textures..

Good luck

eaclou
12-30-2010, 07:46 PM
Thanks, that sounds like it should work fine -it's not animated so it should be fairly simple. I'll try it out when I get home tonight and let you know if there are any issues.

Thanks again

CGTalk Moderation
12-30-2010, 07:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.