PDA

View Full Version : Nodes with Envelope-like attribute and a float attribute

ColinKennedy
12-29-2010, 04:27 PM
This may seem like a strange topic but that's all I really want to know. A node that has an envelope and float attribute that I can use. The simpler the node the better. I know of a few already, for example you can use a deformer and delete its connections and handles and leave the node behind, but I really don't need the extra attributes (ex: squash has high bound, low bound, factor, expand, start smoothness, and so on).

I'm just looking for a simple node, as simple as possible, that contains envelope and a float attribute for inputting numbers. It doesn't have to be EXACTLY envelope but something whose effect can be turned on and off without the use of additional nodes. What's simpler than a deformer but has those type of attributes?

schock
12-30-2010, 04:35 AM
Attribute Combination System (http://dpk.stargrav.com/pafiledb/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=28)

I don't believe you can get this behavior in a single node (Without writing a plugin like the ACS). For a native Maya solution, you would need to have utility nodes or an expression to make your envelope attribute a multiplier for your other float attributes.

The behavior of a deformer's envelope only applys to the deformation data of the node and isn't compatible with float data.

ColinKennedy
12-30-2010, 02:50 PM
That's a bit of a bummer. I was hoping for something really simplistic.

I was thinking of either creating an unknown node (where Maya freaks out and just creates a fake node if you type in createNode asdf or something else that's random) and creating two attributes on it. Both would be tied together with a multiply/divide utility.

Either that or I could use something like a bend deformer, delete both handle nodes and all other connections so I'm left just with bend, lock and hide everything but envelope, and then create a float attribute but I quickly realized that the envelope wouldn't apply to that. I'd have to use the low/high bounds and switch connections with a condition utility. I'd definitely take the first method over this one but both aren't that clean.

Oh well. Thank you for your help and the link schock.

ginodauri
12-31-2010, 07:44 AM
I really don't understand confusion here.

Example.

1.I make plane
2.Make unknown node
3.make two attrs on unknown node(tx and env(with minimun 0 , max 1) )
4.input expression in plane tx channel like this - unknown.tx * unknown.env.

Or you can make env attr on plane node and make expression:

setAttr pPlane1.tx (pPlane1.translateX*pPlane1.env);

Because this is expression you need to change time to see result(or write scriptjob for interactive update)

Or i don;t understand problem?

schock
12-31-2010, 03:40 PM
It doesn't have to be EXACTLY envelope but something whose effect can be turned on and off without the use of additional nodes.

Korinkite is looking for a solution with out using extra nodes.

4.input expression in plane tx channel like this - unknown.tx * unknown.env.

This will work but uses an extra expression node.

Both would be tied together with a multiply/divide utility.

I think this is the way to go. (Utility nodes typically have less overhead than an expression)

CGTalk Moderation
12-31-2010, 03:40 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.