PDA

View Full Version : Rotating cubes

mitcoz
12-28-2010, 11:45 AM
hello,

I am having a hard time rotating cubes in space. I can start with the inital cube, then I have a hard time rotating it anywhere I want it to be, I can randomly just put a cube in space, but I cant rotate it say to track a face with an X on it, is there anyone that can help me with this.

Quadart
12-28-2010, 05:30 PM
If you want to represent a cube rotating on one axis, such as a head turning left or right, I would suggest drawing a cylinder that appears 40% wider than it is high. Your cylinder (in perspective) should have two elliptical ends in which you can draw an X in each, using some degree of perspective (the ellipse center point will be off-center due to perspective and the two lines of the X wll intersect at that center point). From there you can draw lines connecting the X ends to represent your cube. Rotating the Xs through a series of cylinders will show the cube in stepped rotation.

Quick sketch example:

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc156/bill_77/cubesketch.jpg

mitcoz
12-28-2010, 07:56 PM
Thank you very much, this has been immensly helpful to me:). many thanks

CGTalk Moderation
12-28-2010, 07:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.