PDA

View Full Version : Face GUI or face controls?

megazor
12-27-2010, 10:40 AM
This question goes out to riggers as well as animators. It's actually just a question of comfort and preference.

I'm soon about to setup a face rig and I'm wondering if I should do a GUI for all face controls or if I should set out controls in the face, so that the animator can adjust them to create expressions.

I've seen both in different rigs and I don't know which one is to be preferred. Perhaps it's 50/50. Perhaps I can try creating a setup where you can switch between either GUI or facial controls? :)

Thanks alot!

/Martin

nuternativ
12-27-2010, 01:19 PM
I prefer using custom attributes to drive blendShapes, just animate them from the channal box, you gonna have to adjust those keys in the graph editer, anyway. You can add facial controls that follw blendShape for fine-tuning the shapes also. The good thing is, it's easy to setup and modify and if there are like 6 characters in the shot, GUI can cause troble seeing them. Anyway, it depends on animator's preference.

megazor
12-28-2010, 10:22 AM
True! I suppose GUI's can take up much space if you have multiple characters.
I feel that the channel box-custom attributes-setup gets too far away from the shaping of expressions. Just numbers on a list.

But I guess your opinion is more valid as I've barely animated anything :)

Cactus Dan
12-28-2010, 03:52 PM
Howdy,

Well, I personally prefer "on face" controls. To me it feels more natural because it feels more like I'm actually grabbing and moving the character's facial features. ;)

Adios,
Cactus Dan

giordi
12-28-2010, 08:32 PM
yeah actually you have to try to give the animators what he wants . and both system can work together . actualy i like better the controll on the face

megazor
12-28-2010, 10:34 PM
OooooK, so we got 1 for channel box, 2 for face controls. :)

CGTalk Moderation
12-28-2010, 10:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.