PDA

View Full Version : Full CGI Spot "Piece of Art"

WeirdPictures
12-26-2010, 08:58 PM
Hello to all,

this is my first post. Matter of fact i am not a CGI artist, but love the medium and its possibilities. The following job was pretty much by accident, but at the end i really enjoyed the learning curve and the experience. While working on some concept art and environmental studies for a film project we are developing, i started to love the realistic lighting and physic based functionality from some of the render engines, like Maxwell and Vray. I started playing with some ideas on the side and came up with an idea that i always wanted to follow through with. This is my first try for a CGI spot and i spend pretty much my free evening time for 4 weeks to get it together.

Check out the video and pics.

http://vimeo.com/16809107

http://www.weirdpictures.net/HTMLemail/AstonArt/Welcome_files/Pics%20Aston%20small.jpg

http://www.weirdpictures.net

mradfo21
01-01-2011, 02:11 AM
really nice man!

WeirdPictures
01-05-2011, 09:42 PM
Hey, thanks for watching and commenting. Always good to hear some feedback.

Thanks again

Canadianboy
01-06-2011, 12:50 AM
Loved it, saw it a few days ago on Vimeo and Fav'd it.

Keep it up you obviously have a nack for it if this is your first big animation

WeirdPictures
01-06-2011, 03:40 AM
Hey Canadianboy,

thanks a lot for your comment. I just checked out your r8 piece. Very nice work. Did you render in Cinema or a third part renderer? I am still looking for a faster solution than Maxwell, its just so damn slow, but so damn good:-)

Thanks a lot for the comment

Canadianboy
01-06-2011, 07:18 PM
Thanks,

Ya I just stuck with Cinema's native renderer AR I was going to use Vray but decided to stick with AR since I haven't used it in a while. I can't imaging rendering what you did in Maxwell but it was definitely worth it, the results speak for themselves!

WeirdPictures
01-07-2011, 12:12 AM
yes, Vray looks pretty good. I played with a demo version and it is pretty fast, but i had some problems with aliasing (maybe because of the demo version and not being that experienced with it). I love the results from Maxwell, but it is really not that usable for someone like me, due to the render times. I am working on a 1min teaser for a film i am developing and am thinking which render to use.

Debrain
01-12-2011, 04:23 AM
wow, this is simply stunning :-) So clean and beautiful. Well done, Congrats. Maybe only the tire ball looks a bit plastic, no?

WeirdPictures
01-13-2011, 05:27 AM
Hey dbrain. Thanks a lot for your comment. And yes, the tires are definitely the part that i a the least happy with. I had problems making the rubber texture less shiny so they look less like plastic. Maybe I will update the clip if I find a way to tweak the sharer. Any hints how to get a good rubber texture in Maxwell would be much appreciated. Thanks again.

TAVO
01-13-2011, 06:33 PM
bravo !! i love the environment design !! is it your own design ??

the camera motion was also great, awesome piece of work, congrats.

EDIT: BTW, you can search here for maxwell shaders, i'm not a maxwell user but i read of this place some time a go:

http://resources.maxwellrender.com/visual_catalog.php?t=#page=1

WeirdPictures
01-13-2011, 06:55 PM
Hey tavo. Thanks so much for your comment. Yes, I created all the environments of the rooms. The Aston Martin is a model I bought from turbosquid. I am way to unexperienced to model something like that :-)
Thanks for the texture link. I did use that resource a lot, but the rubber textures from them also turned out to plastic looking. I have the feeling the only way to do it right is using SSS textures, which I was afraid of so far but will now look into :-)
Thanks again.

Debrain
01-15-2011, 12:34 AM
Hey, just showed your spot to a friend of mine and he noticed that you are in Los Angeles as well. If you ever need some help let me know. Would love to help out and look over your shoulder. Thanks,

Peter

WeirdPictures
01-20-2011, 10:09 PM
Hey peter. Thanks for the offer. We are just working on a new project right now. So if you're up for long hours and low pay write me a message with your email and maybe a showreel or portfolio. Thanks

cesarmontero
01-24-2011, 07:40 AM
That's very nice. Its well put together. I like the cameras, cuts, and overall edition. :thumbsup:

WeirdPictures
01-31-2011, 04:14 PM
Hey Cesar. Thanks a lot for your comment. Your work is pretty amazing. What software are you mainly working in?
Thanks again.

quintAnimation
01-31-2011, 11:09 PM
I can't believe that you said this is you first piece in CG! It was done so well. Just loved everything. Great work.

WeirdPictures
02-03-2011, 07:50 AM
Hello Robert, thank you so much for your kind comment. I am glad you like it. I still feel that i should go back and rerender some of the shots that feel pretty weak now, after a couple of months. Wold love to redo the tires, they feel plastic. But also, i am toying around with other render engines and hope i can do the next spot with something quicker :-) and hopefully render really every frame, haha.

Thanks again.

Debrain
02-12-2011, 01:10 AM
Hey Martin,

i am just trying the same kind of technology with the single frame render and projection mapping them back onto geometry, but getting pretty bad results. Is there any way you have a behind the scenes or picture that explains how you did it?

That would be awesome. Would love to see a bit about your workflow behind that.

Thanks man

WeirdPictures
03-16-2011, 07:49 PM
Hey Peter,

sorry, been busy with a job here, but will hopefully revisit the spot one more time and try to do some workflow exempts on some shots.

Thanks again for your interest.

CGTalk Moderation
03-16-2011, 07:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.