PDA

View Full Version : Lost... Need some answers.

roginafalengi
12-25-2010, 11:28 AM
Hey! I'm 16 years old and I'm thinking of getting into the 3D industry, I'm currently developing my skills on PS CS5, AE CS5, ZBrush 4.0 and Maya 2011. my favorite part so far was the modeling part, But I've started texturing yesterday so I can't be sure what i want to be but I guess it's modeling/texturing artist.

I'm willing to move to Canada/US to work and learn.
I don't have a Canadian or US citizenship.
I'll have around 33k$ to learn but if I'll need a loan I will take it.

I'll have around 3-4 years to train myself (online tutorials (lynda, gnomon workshop, Etc...))
during the military (must be there for 3 years). I'll make some amazing reels alone.

Does my high school grades count? I'm doing physics math and English in the highest level available.

It seems weird but I see that mostly industry want animators, and I don't like animating at all. Is this a problem? Is it hard to find a modeling/texturing job? Does Pixar have any? or they're looking for animation artists mostly?

Does schools like VFS/ Thinktank Etc... are good for any level, because I guess that after 3 years of training from time to time I'll be better the most of the students out there.

If you can give me any information I will be very thanksful I feel really lost.

Thanks for your time :p

roginafalengi
12-27-2010, 01:06 PM
Bump - Help!

MatthewAlden
12-27-2010, 01:25 PM
Hey, im also 16 and teaching myself lots of the same software but i use mudbox instead of zBrush and CS4 instead of CS5 :D

As for finding places to work it could be very different in 3 years time think of how many projects start every year, i dont mean to be negative but we will probably have to go into a smaller studio than pixar until you have more experience.

As for schools it might be better getting a BFA or similar before doing a Diploma, Lost Boys also looks like a good school but that only focusses on VFX and I want to go into Game Development, maybe you could do textures for games as well as Film?

Also as you have only just started doing texturing maybe you should wait until you are really good at it before you say its the job you want to do :D

Studios also like to see a portfolio of hand drawings as well as all the digital stuff so its worth doing some of that, just keep to it and it will soon look good :D

Hope i was a little help,

Matt

P.S people seem to be slow to reply on this forum to people our age, if at all :(

MatthewAlden
12-27-2010, 01:34 PM
Hey thought i might add once you have the skills its worth making a lot of your own stuff and developing maybe your own style than the one set by a text book or tutorial, i know how it is when you first need to know how to use a piece of software but its also worth just mucking around if you dont already, its how i learnt MudBox, but MudBox has an easier interface compared to zBrush :scream:

Also i might add that if you are at a school you can download a huge amount of Autodesk software for free. (you get a three year license)

otouto
12-27-2010, 01:44 PM
Hi Daniel,
I'm also from israel so i know your situation and i'm researching lots of schools and options myself and i'll be more than willing to help you with what i have learned.
first i'll tell you that if you don't have US or Canadian citizenships you must have some sort of a degree in order to be able to get work visa. it's possible otherwise but it's very hard and unless you are very very good and worth the trouble for the studios, they will prefer to get someone else to do the job.

so your goal in my opinion should be to get a BA or BFA in either some sort of arts or something different (so you can also have some backup plan in case CG doesn't work well for you.
meanwhile i would suggest to keep working on 3d and 2d art so when you decide where you wanna study, you will be able to get into that place without a problem. also, maybe you'll be able to use that in your army service. after the army you should check again your options because as MatthewAlden said, many things change in 3 years and also you will change in those 3 years and during your experience in the army.

if you want i can PM you my phone so we can talk. also you can check CGIsrael.

hope i helped a bit.

roginafalengi
12-28-2010, 01:00 PM
thanks both of you for you help, I really appreciate it, you're probably right, I should try everything before deciding, are you serious that in order to get a work visa I'll need some sort of degree? it might take few years... what will happen if I won't have any degree, just learning at VFS for year? I won't get working visa?

otouto
12-28-2010, 02:24 PM
if this is your dream, a few years doesn't really matter and learning other stuff apart from 3d will only give you a bunch of other useful skills you'll be able to use, either in art or in something else if you choose. As far as i know (and i know someone else who went to a school like VFS but didn't have a degree or US/CA nationality and in now he's doing his degree at ringling) it will be almost impossible to get a work visa. i wont say 100% because maybe if you have lots of connections it can be possible. But for an entry level job, i don't think many studios will choose you if it means it'll be a lot of work for them to get you a visa as they will probably have many other possible candidates to choose from...

so in my opinion your best route is to get a degree either here in Israel (Betzalel for example) or abroad and then take more specialized studies such as VFS etc.

hope this helps.

roginafalengi
12-28-2010, 06:08 PM
I'll contact the Canadian embassy's in this issue, most likely I'll get working visa while learning there, I'll see, this isn't my problem right now, do you know anything about scholarships?

Meloncov
12-31-2010, 06:08 AM
Does my high school grades count? I'm doing physics math and English in the highest level available.

If you apply to a competitive school, they'll care about your grades. Employers won't, though they will probably care about the skills you acquire in said classes.

It seems weird but I see that mostly industry want animators, and I don't like animating at all. Is this a problem? Is it hard to find a modeling/texturing job? Does Pixar have any? or they're looking for animation artists mostly?

...who do you think models and textures the stuff in Pixar films? Magical Disney pixies?

Modeling and texturing jobs tend to be somewhat easier to find than character animation jobs, though harder to find than the more techy stuff like rigging.

Does schools like VFS/ Thinktank Etc... are good for any level, because I guess that after 3 years of training from time to time I'll be better the most of the students out there.

If you're good enough that you wouldn't get much benefit from VFS, you're more than good enough to land a job.

CGTalk Moderation
12-31-2010, 06:08 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.