PDA

View Full Version : The Lord Of The Forest, Crix (2D)

Crix
10-14-2003, 11:24 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/10545/lord-of-the-forest_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/10545/lord-of-the-forest.jpg)

Hello!

I first wondered whether the category of my picture would be "character" or "environment" since the character is centered, yet relatively small.
I decided on "character" mainly because of the title...

Well, enough of the talk:

Oh, I forgot to introduce myself. My name is Christian Hoffmann. I am german, so please excuse my english.
I've been reading along the forums for quite a while not posting much... :shrug:
Well, I am more than impressed by the artworks that show up in this place!

I hope you like my picture. It was fun to work at!

Greetings!

Pharaun
10-14-2003, 11:46 AM
Very nice! I love the style and mood.

Ramcy
10-14-2003, 11:49 AM
:) Nice color!
I feel something strange,maybe on top of the tree,or the perspective, or other else...it's just my feel...haha:)
no matter how,good work!

gag
10-14-2003, 12:59 PM
i love it!!!!!!!

can you tell us how you worked please?

i'm so impressed by this artwork!!!! keep it up :applause:

empty thought
10-14-2003, 01:02 PM
nice use of colour and atmosphere, keep it up

Ragnos
10-14-2003, 02:03 PM
It's great!

Die mystische Stimmung im Bild und das Licht von oben :thumbsup:

Amyd
10-14-2003, 02:10 PM
Was the picture inspired by the statue of Anonymous in Budapest by Ligeti? This one (http://www.kfki.hu/keptar/english/l/ligeti_m/muvek/anonymu1.html), I mean.

Very nice work! I like especially the plays with perspective of the foreground versus the background. Sehr schön. Bravo!

Cheers,
Andrei

Crix
10-14-2003, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the replys!

As you may have already noticed I did some small changes. I followed a few suggestions and I think they improved the picture. Well there is much to learn!

Well what does feel wrong about the picture is probably some wrong proportions with regards to the character. But I think its too late to correct these...

@gag:
I learned how to paint (and am still learning!) by all these great artists you find here or at gfxartist.com. Some Tutorials there have proven to be extremely help- and insightful, but never forget to paint just what you see! When there is no reference, like in this case, you have to imagine. Paint the picture inside your head first. There is no real trick...
Some steps that are more technical:
1. I did a pencil sketch (without the trees)
2. I scanned it and blocked in the overall colors.
3. I did not attempt to paint every single leaf. I only wanted to reproduce the illusion of a forest - I tried to paint what you could see in such a scene, not what exists.

I hope this will be a little help.

@Amyd:
I did not know the statue before, but it is truely a masterpiece. Had I known it, it would have inspired me! Maybe I would have gone for a more thoughtful pose of the character then. ;)
Thanks for the link!

Wonderer
10-14-2003, 02:42 PM
Beautifully done! He is intimidating:beer:

EnderW
10-14-2003, 03:06 PM
Oooohhh

this is very beatiful , very good , good work

:buttrock: :buttrock:

I like me.

the top zone is very good and luminus.

nosferatu wip (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56313&perpage=15&highlight=nosferatu&pagenumber=2)

Terro
10-14-2003, 03:15 PM
Very well done Crix and welcome to CG talk :) Not much to crit on, everything looks great. Hope to be seeing more of your work in the future.
:thumbsup:

???
10-14-2003, 03:55 PM
can t see da image
:shrug:

???
10-14-2003, 03:56 PM
Never mind but woooaaa... :thumbsup:

Neison
10-14-2003, 04:17 PM
Love the detail in those trees! :thumbsup:

Franc
10-14-2003, 04:32 PM
Like very much
:thumbsup:

Radacci
10-14-2003, 04:40 PM
it looks very good, but it looks wierd with him in the forest, i mean he looks like death or some evil entity, and yet there he sits in a peacefull forest, with an apple in his hand...strange :)

TheHellmaster
10-14-2003, 04:48 PM
Verdammt verdammt verdammt...

Die Farben sind echt der hammer! Bin sehr beeindruckt!
Wäre cool wenn du en kleines Tut schreiben würdest wo du erklärst wie du des mit den Farben hinbekommen hast!

Weiter so! :applause:

TheHellmaster :buttrock:

PS: Gibts das auch in Hintergrundbild-Größe?

Daniel
10-14-2003, 04:52 PM
hey man!

That's damn great!

Super Bild :buttrock:

So nun noch ein Beitrag zum Bild ins Decoy :wavey:

WEITERSO :thumbsup:

cya.

Frenkie
10-14-2003, 05:09 PM
I like your character
he (or she?) is so funky:)

TheDarkKnight
10-14-2003, 05:59 PM
Wow, :applause: klasse gefällt mir wirklich sehr gut. Die Bäume wirken oben am Bildrand sehr friedlich und ruhig und darunter wird es immer düsterer. Sehr schöne Farben das Bild wirkt echt gut.

Mach weiter so :thumbsup:

Dennik
10-14-2003, 06:39 PM
The character and the enviroment are great. I love the way the forest feels like bending towards the forest lord.
But as others mentioned, he is very dark for a Forest Lord. I could understand it maybe if the forest was the one of Fangorn from Lord of The Rings, which is quite dense and old and almost no direct ray of sunlight touches the ground.
Nevertheless great work!

Miss Hippo
10-14-2003, 06:57 PM
love the art work....i really like the contrast between the dark and the light. Light on the top and darkness is in the forest....love it! Keep it up:applause:

and i like how the leaves losses details as it moves up!...just one suggestion....a personal one....since u have a fruit in his hand....maybe a serpant on the ground (near his chair)? what do u think?

No matter what...it's an awsome piece!:buttrock:

Time Bomb
10-14-2003, 07:43 PM
Good work !! :buttrock:

DustinBrown
10-14-2003, 08:52 PM
Very nice. I especially like the light clamped canopy.

-Dustin

cupcake
10-14-2003, 08:55 PM
This is very good work.Just in time for Fall.
;) :applause:

Kel Solaar
10-14-2003, 10:32 PM
Nice picture!

mage111
10-14-2003, 10:40 PM
first off, the jpg format is not doing this piece any justice, its that good ;o

and second, crix, i love the way you created the forrest & how the light comes through the openin @ the top of the tree tops.

you did a wonderful job.

PS. is there any way to get hold of a higher quality image then this jpg, i'd love to see like a png32 ;-)

AtrusDni
10-14-2003, 11:06 PM
Awesome piece! The trees are absolutly great. No crit's.
BTW - You english is quite well. :beer: :applause: :buttrock:

leigh
10-15-2003, 01:45 AM
This is a very cool image, I like it a lot :)

You've managed to create a very nice mood with the colours and lighting at the top of the picture, and the perspective distortion gives it a very creepy, yet majestic feel.

I also find it quite interesting that you have chosen a rather sinister character to be the lord of the forest, when people usually think of forests as magical places filled with good spirits. However, this forest looks pretty dense and somewhat dark dark and ominous itself, so it works well.

The only part of the image that could perhaps benefit from a little more work is the forest floor, which looks a little flat, in my opinion. It's difficult to tell whether it's made up of lots of little pebbles, or if it's covered in fallen leaves. At any rate, it just lacks a little definition.

The lighting at the top of the image is very powerful - perhaps a few volumetric beams leaking down through the canopy of trees could be very effective in "crowning" the lord with a halo of light. Just a thought :)

Daemolos
10-15-2003, 02:05 AM
I love it!!! Beautiful work on painting it..The light coming in from the top of the trees is well done..:buttrock:

HeroChannel
10-15-2003, 02:38 AM
Amazing! :applause: Your style is cool. Perfect atmosphere:thumbsup:

facial
10-15-2003, 04:40 AM
This image looks so great anyway, and i just wandering why you make all trunk so straight. it should looks more rounding and twisting in my own opinion, so you could catch more mysterious feeling.
The color of it is nice. i love it.
Well done. Keepost up more.

Novakog
10-15-2003, 04:56 AM
Makes me think of druids (the fairytale druids, not the real ones)

Anyway, awesome job here! Keep it up!

nvaughn
10-15-2003, 05:00 AM
I love this style! Nice concept and perspective in this peice. It is very well done. Maybe, having this take place on a moon lit night, or some thorn bushes in the background would have been better, just to suit the "dark entity" theme. Anyway, I like that serpent idea. Or a hairy bug eyed imp or two. After all, do you think his highness would go get that apple himself.

phoenix
10-15-2003, 06:15 AM
very impressive i love the apple.....and the whole lighting in very nice....very absorbing image:thumbsup:

Dj.Kopito
10-15-2003, 07:22 AM
nice...............
I love this style....
:applause:

rrobert
10-15-2003, 09:00 AM
Nice, you have very artistic skills when it comes to 2D art! Great picture man! :thumbsup: Keep up the good work ...

AXE
10-15-2003, 09:45 AM
very, very, very nice atmosphere :buttrock:

I think "he" would look better without the eyes, but still it rocks

Crix
10-15-2003, 11:56 AM
Hello again!

First of all: Thanks to you all for the replies. I am glad you like my work.

Some of you had some really cool suggestions (a snake, moonlight, etc.) which could prove to make very good additions or even entirely new pictures.
I decided not to include any of them, because - you know - they were not my ideas. I dont know whether or not it's false pride or anything like that, but it feels wrong to me to use your ideas for my picture.
No offense! And I really appreciate reading your suggestions nevertheless!

For those interested in a wallpaper I uploaded a small piece for you:

Beware ~ 540kb - 1280 x 960
Click to download the Wallpaper (http://home.arcor.de/tisch.pageteam/stuff/lord-of-the-forest-wp.jpg)

Again: Thanks for your participation in this thread! See you around! :cool:

Intonater
10-15-2003, 02:56 PM
I like your tree and light at top of this picture,but there is a little angularity about that "man" and grass at foreground.

It is really nice paint!

Saeed
10-15-2003, 03:02 PM
Amazing! Graet work.:applause:

bustasnipe
10-15-2003, 03:48 PM
Good work.. I guess its too late to fix, but the leg on the right is shorter then the other.. and the knee looks like its falling off.. also.. I think his foot is way too small.. in comparison to the knee.. unless he is wearing knee pads.
Love the atmosphere and details!

TheHellmaster
10-15-2003, 06:36 PM
Danke fürs Wallpaper! Jetzt fehlt nur noch ein Tut! :)
Werde in Zukunft nach weiteren Projekten von dir ausschau halten!

Thx 4 the wallpaper!

TheHellmaster :buttrock:

gag
10-15-2003, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Crix
!

@gag:
I learned how to paint (and am still learning!) by all these great artists you find here or at gfxartist.com. Some Tutorials there have proven to be extremely help- and insightful, but never forget to paint just what you see! When there is no reference, like in this case, you have to imagine. Paint the picture inside your head first. There is no real trick...
Some steps that are more technical:
1. I did a pencil sketch (without the trees)
2. I scanned it and blocked in the overall colors.
3. I did not attempt to paint every single leaf. I only wanted to reproduce the illusion of a forest - I tried to paint what you could see in such a scene, not what exists.

I hope this will be a little help.

thanks for these details!!! i repeat your image amaze me!!! good job!!!

i'm afraid i'm not good enough with a pencil to do that :shrug:

:drool:

mage111
10-15-2003, 09:41 PM
thanks alot crix for the wallpaper, it looks alot better with the increased quality level :-)

olijosman
10-15-2003, 10:20 PM
I love the background the colors and the light! I feel it in the air....in the water...;) :applause:

Modron
10-16-2003, 07:30 AM
Excellent work. Only crit, a little more detail on the hands would be nice. Looks fantastic though,...nice lighting, some really interesting parts to focus on, and some nice fluid lines.

RedEye01
10-16-2003, 04:14 PM
Damn cool 2D! I just keep thinking to myself how difficult (or time consuming) this image would be to create in 3D.

lildragon
10-18-2003, 10:38 AM
Superb! Really that's all I have to say :) love the off balance of placing the apple in such a menacing hand heheh. The perspective works, the lighting from the top of the forest is very suttle and graceful. Nice piece

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Excellent work!

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_oct03_2.jpg

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com so I can send you the award .psd file

salud

Nyceane
11-05-2003, 02:22 AM
http://imbroglioband.com/mmorpg/tflwall.jpg

someone just stole your picture, dude

DoLeeP
11-11-2003, 01:30 AM
great work :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.