PDA

View Full Version : Clothes with a seperate mesh

sqrlcub
12-24-2010, 01:59 AM
I am pretty new to rigging and am starting to get to a place where my characters that I'm rigging for my personal projects are wearing clothes made out of a separate geometry. I've not actually done it yet, but am worried that my clothing geometry doesn't have the same polyflow as my body geometry. Is this actually a problem? Do I have to make adjustments?

Is there a better/easier way to do it rather than painting skin weights on the meshes?

Any extra info is appreciated.

nuternativ
12-25-2010, 01:00 AM
The cloth should look fine if the vertex density is about the same as your body mesh. But, anyway, not perfect.

You can select the joints in the area, then smooth bind that piece of cloth, and then copySkinWeight.

nuternativ
12-25-2010, 02:41 PM
if it has about the same vertex density as the body it should looked fine (but not perfect) . you can just bind joints in the area to it then copy skin weights...

sqrlcub
12-27-2010, 10:22 AM
Thank you kindly. If it won't look perfect would it be better to build the clothes in nCloth and then paint the weights to match? I'm not even sure if that's possible.

nuternativ
12-27-2010, 01:58 PM
doing nCloth is gonna cost you another one big process of simulating for each shot of the animation. nCloth has an attribute called "input mesh attract" that contols how much the nCloth gonna stick to the origianl mesh(mesh before it turns nCloth) and this attribute can be painted, just like paint skin weight, too.

i suggest you bind the cloth to the joints nearby, create more joint chain and controls for the cloth if nescessary. then dicide later if you gonna use nCloth for each shot.

sqrlcub
12-28-2010, 10:04 AM
Again, much appreciated. As I get a bit farther along the process, I'm sure I'll have more questions, but at least now I have an idea how to tackle it.

CGTalk Moderation
12-28-2010, 10:04 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.