PDA

View Full Version : Tattoo Anyone ???

samartin
10-14-2003, 08:36 AM
Hi all,

I can't afford bodypaint or anything like that, but this software seems like it could do the job, ie. just setting out the colour schemes and areas for painting initial textures which can then be sorted via photoshop...

Has anyone used this product yet ??? If so care to share some results cos' at 25 / $48 it does seem like a bargain...

http://www.terabit.nildram.co.uk/tattoo/

telamon
10-14-2003, 02:46 PM
I have downloaded the demo and the LW "exporter"

Apparently, we need to triangulate the mesh before painting.

I'll give a try soon and I'll give you my feeling here ;)

telamon
10-14-2003, 02:58 PM
I don't like it

I could not load any .tif texture...

Moreover the interface is not very fast... I had to click twice or thrice on a menu before it pops...

Uninstalled after 10 minutes :(

samartin
10-14-2003, 04:15 PM
The .tif format for myself isn't a problem as I only work with .png's nowadays, but the interface selection does seem problematic, I will get a copy when I get home and give this a blast and post up what I think...

I did have a quick tinker during work but haven't had chance to play too much, but I can say menu response was instant and openGL speed was very nice...

samartin
10-14-2003, 06:20 PM
Wow, I'm running a P4 3Ghz GeForce go5600 and I know what you mean by menu speed, it's really bad, my work machine which is a P3 866Mhz with a cr@p Matrox card runs soooo much faster, and I mean tonnes faster...

I think I will e-mail the author about this, cos' at 25 it does seem a bargain...

dzogchen
10-14-2003, 06:35 PM
Did you read the warning when using nVidia card. I try it with driver version 45.23 and it is terrible. With version 44.03, everything is responsive. One thing I don't like is that you have to convert your lwo to other format. If only it loads lwo object.:hmm:

dzogchen
10-14-2003, 06:38 PM
When start up the warning says " There is a current issue with version 45.23 which slows performance to 2FPS!!"

samartin
10-14-2003, 06:54 PM
Thanx for that, I did miss the disclaimer and luckily I didn't email him else I would of felt like a right chump...

I have noticed on http://www.softpedia.com/ they have detonator 50.21 drivers, but I imagine them to be non-certified :banghead:, I'm not risking it so I am gonna be 25 better off for a while...

Para
10-14-2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by samartin
I have noticed on http://www.softpedia.com/ they have detonator 50.21 drivers, but I imagine them to be non-certified :banghead:, I'm not risking it so I am gonna be 25 better off for a while...

Those are beta drivers and extremely buggy. Afaik those have problems with rendering light maps, AA and AF. I'd say that 44.02 are the best Detonators to use in any case at the moment because of their quality/speed.

samartin
10-24-2003, 08:53 PM
For the peeps out there who mighta been interested in this but running nVidia cards with 45.23 drivers, well nVidia have updated to 52.16 and tattoo now works as should, now I can really test this out WOOHOO !!!

Petrik
10-25-2003, 09:08 AM
OK call me stupid but where can I see what drivers I've got?

samartin
10-25-2003, 09:33 AM
Petrik,

I won't call you stupid as I would have to call myself stupid, my display properties only shows the FX Go5600 and then when I goto advanced it shows all dll's at 6.14.10.4401, but I do have the latest drivers on now and have had no problems as of yet...

to get the latest drivers go here :-

www.nvidia.com, I then went into driver download, this then sends you to the right place when you select the right platform, ie. XP/2K...

I have no idea if there is any utility out there which can display the driver version as 52.16 ???

TeraBit
10-25-2003, 11:44 AM
Hi all,

My name is Lee, I am the developer of Tattoo.

samartin just made me aware of this thread. So hello all.

If you have any questions you would like answered I'll be listening in for a while.

First to clear up a couple of things.

Version 1.1 of Tattoo (now available) should be file to load in Quads without a problem. But if not, the best way to get things fixed is to send the file for testing, I'll attempt to fix incompatabilities when they arise. The lightwave object support is now integrated, so no need to convert in advance.

There are still issues with the Nvidia drivers. The only people who seem to get good results with Det. versions AFTER 44.03 are those with GeforceFXs. Version 44.03 is still the best version for Tattoo.

Nvidia had indeed told me that they had fixed the problem, but apparently they have not. So I'll be getting back to them.

Emmanuel
10-25-2003, 12:30 PM
Lee rocks !
Sorry, I still need to send You that teasthead.lwo that disappears sometimes in Tattoo !!

samartin
10-25-2003, 01:40 PM
Yeah welcome aboard Lee,

Good to see you here, so nice to have developers of tools grace the board...

TeraBit
10-25-2003, 10:39 PM
Hi,

Glad to be here. I feel the best way to develop tools is to get user opinions.

:thumbsup:

Nice set of smilies we have here. :applause:

TeraBit
10-26-2003, 11:53 AM
samartin,

I managed to fix the .LWO file you sent me. :thumbsup:

Did you get my email? :curious:

TeraBit
10-29-2003, 09:36 AM
Hi All,

Since Tattoo handles multiple file formats, would this subject be better placed in another forum do you think?

Cman
12-20-2003, 04:54 PM
This seems very useful.
I'm stupid, but how does this work?
Does my model have to have a png applied or just UVs assigned?

I looked for a tut or instructions and didn't see anything on the site or the demo.

Thanks. :blush:

TeraBit
12-20-2003, 04:57 PM
Hi there,

It's better if you already have a TextureMap applied, since you can decide the resolution or even the starting color yourself.

All that is 'Required' though is to have UVs and have applied these to the model's surfaces.

Cman
12-20-2003, 05:04 PM
OK.
btw, I updated my nvidia drivers to 53.03 and it rotated very smoothly, so I think that problem is fixed for you.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.