PDA

View Full Version : do something for each selected object in array?

cgbeige
12-21-2010, 03:55 PM
I'm pretty new to programming and loops so this is probably going to sound like a newb question. I want to run a series of commands on each selected object separately, so that it cycles through all the selected objects, runs a bake render and then selects the next object until it's done with the array. This doesn't seem to work:

$mySelection = `ls -sl`;

for($each in $mySelection)
{
select -r $each;
textFieldGrp -e -text $mySelection -forceChangeCommand vrayFileNamePrefix;
RedoPreviousRender;
}

It just renders once (but renders the correct thing and file name). If you're wondering why I'm doing a crazy ass-backwards bake like this when V-Ray has batch baking, it's because the batch bake doesn't do AO passes and it's much slower.

onetime
12-21-2010, 04:26 PM
Hi cgbeige,

I'm pretty new to programming as well, so consider yourself warned, because I don't want to lead you astray. That said, I've been using this type of script quite a bit lately. It's very handy for a LOT of different things.

I don't have V-Ray, so I'm not sure what you're trying to do exactly. But here's what I would suggest:

Remove the "select -r $each;" line. It seems redundant since the object is already selected (or objects, since you've defined each object in your selection, but only one at a time in this case).

Also, try defining your variable like this:string $mySelection[] = `ls -sl`; I don't know what those [] brackets do, but they have something to do with defining an array (or a matrix… I honestly have no clue yet).

Well, worse case scenario is that you're back to square one. I'm curious what the coding gods will recommend. :)

zoharl
12-21-2010, 04:29 PM
Few options:

1. Locate the problem better. Add:

print $each

to test that the loop actually executes.

2. Just try to use another renderer.

3. Code without a loop two renders. Maybe the redo doesn't do the trick.

4. See if you have access to the code of the render itself to debug it with prints.

cgbeige
12-21-2010, 05:30 PM
ok - I found out the problem. It was the -text field name. It was the same for all objects so it was overwriting the file. Now it works :

http://grab.by/grabs/3355c67e278377d777a596658fdb6f4c.png

The final code looks like this:

$mySelection = `ls -sl`;

for($each in $mySelection)
{
select -r $each;
textFieldGrp -e -text $each -forceChangeCommand vrayFileNamePrefix;
RedoPreviousRender;
print ($each + "baked\n");
}

pixelranger
12-21-2010, 09:22 PM
That 'shouldn't' work.
I tried it and it DID work, but be mindful that, like onetime said, you should declare your variable with brackets '[]'. That tells Maya that you're expecting an array.
Also it is alway good practice to declare the variable data type:
string $mySelection[] = `ls -sl`;

You're going to run into a lot of "// Error: Line 1.23: Cannot cast data of type string to string[]. //" - errors if you don't, plus it is easier for you to keep an overview over your own variables.
There is a big difference between a string and a string array.

CGTalk Moderation
12-21-2010, 09:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.