PDA

View Full Version : Simulating without animation

nathaniel2
12-20-2010, 07:06 PM
I am trying to use Maya to simulate a mesh/fabric/cargo net made of tires; a climbing apparatus for a children's playground. I am a new user but I have done most of the tutorials and it seems possible to accomplish this using a combination of Dynamics, nDynamics and/or Inverse Kinematics.

Basically, I would like to create a flat ribbon of tires, then loop and twist it to create an interesting shape that will behave realistically. The tutorials only covered active and passive dynamics as part of an animation... is it possible to apply dynamics to the scene so I can experiment with the model?

Any advice is greatly appreciated,
thanks!http://www.mde.state.md.us/programs/Land/RecyclingandOperationsprogram/ScrapTire/PublishingImages/www.mde.state.md.us/assets/image/cunninghamfalls_girl.jpg

dizzyone
01-02-2011, 11:01 PM
Not sure what you are asking, but looking at the pictures, I'd probably go for softbodies with springs and make the particles in the center have less weight, so they bounce more.

You can always simply bake a simulation into keyframes, incase thats what you're asking: Go to Edit > Keys > Bake Simulation.

If you're asking how to apply simulation on something and then simply disable further simulation, you can always simulate dynamics until you're satisfied, then set it as the initial state ( solvers > set initial state ). This will make it so it's current behaviour is how the animation starts. After that you can simply delete history on it.

If you're using rigid bodies, you can also go to 'solvers > rigid body solver attributes' and disable it's state etc. It'll stop solving the simulation.

Aikiman
01-03-2011, 12:42 AM
Id probably run with nCloth here, connect the tyres together with constraints.

ganzo
01-03-2011, 08:54 AM
Some web made of joints + soft body plus the geometry parented to joints.

Calibrix
01-03-2011, 11:06 PM
The most simple way to do this would be to make a sheet of nCloth that wrap deforms the tires. If you need more control you could paint stiffness maps on the ncloth.

john_homer
01-04-2011, 02:37 PM
Aikimans suggestion would be the best and easiest by far in my opinion...

just make a turus the size of one tire, duplicate it around and make individual nCloths (ie, dont combine the meshes into one) then you can use rigidity to stiffen them. add some constraints and you are done.

.j

Aikiman
01-04-2011, 05:48 PM
Aikimans suggestion would be the best and easiest by far in my opinion...

just make a turus the size of one tire, duplicate it around and make individual nCloths (ie, dont combine the meshes into one) then you can use rigidity to stiffen them. add some constraints and you are done.

.j

http://www.vimeo.com/18410525

I read some of your earlier posts John because I was having problems with initial state and rigidity, there is some bug you indicated. Is there a work around for this because as you can see from the vid, the tyres are more like inner tubes? I removed rigidity altogether.

Aikiman
01-05-2011, 08:21 PM
Dont worry, got it sorted.

CGTalk Moderation
01-05-2011, 08:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.