PDA

View Full Version : Soft Bodies

nottoshabi
10-13-2003, 11:07 PM
When I create soft bodies on a object. I chose the option of (Duplicate Make Copy Soft). Great... Right...

But it makes the copy then moves it to the side. Wich is not good.
Cause that way I can't make it follow the original wich is rigged to a skeleton.

I dont know Y that happens.. :surprised

And another question.

When soft bodies are applied to a character the soft bodies act like secondary animation to the movement of the character. Right Great.......

But if the character moves faster and faster the soft bodies get longer and longer as the character makes a fast change of direction.

My guestion is is there a way of setting the distance to how far the soft bodies can strech???

:wavey:

zachgrachan
10-14-2003, 03:07 AM
firstly, to add soft bodies to a rigged character, you have to make the original soft. This allows the bind and the softbody to affect the SAME surface, whereas making a copy soft will not be connected at all to your rig.

Second, I really recommend doing all animation before applying softbodies. Get it to the point where it just needs something extra, then add the softbodies(to the original)

To change the amount of movement (secondary) of a softbody, animate the goal weight(found on the particle object). This is what decides how accurately the particle follows the goal versus how much the particle makes it's own motion(via inertia, fields, etc).

I'll think about doing a short tut on this, as it took me most of my special fx class to figure it out (got it a few hours before project was due) but now I sorta understand it. Probably learn even more from writing a tut than others would just reading it.

It all depends on time....

nottoshabi
10-14-2003, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by zachgrachan
firstly, to add soft bodies to a rigged character, you have to make the original soft. This allows the bind and the softbody to affect the SAME surface, whereas making a copy soft will not be connected at all to your rig.

I have done it as I mentioned in my previous post, and it worked great just dont understand Y it dosent work now. When I make the original soft it wont let me speciffy were I want soft and were I dont.

wmbf
10-17-2003, 12:29 PM
I hope you use poly to model your character. then you could use spring to constraint the motion of softbody and be very careful when you paint the weight of softbody. This maybe a little helpful, but never make very speedy animation if you want to apply softbody later will be a final solusion. If fast moving is needed, you could choose to either slow it down when you are simulating and speed it up in compositing or increase over-sample value.

nottoshabi
10-17-2003, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the help wmbf :thumbsup:

Is there any way to specify how long the soft bodies could strech?? No matter how fast the animation goes. And no matter how soft the bodie are?

:wavey:

zachgrachan
10-17-2003, 11:17 PM
how soft it is decides how much it stretches. When you swing a wooden bat around it doesn't stretch enough to see at all, but a rubber bat would bend and stretch because of inertia.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.