PDA

View Full Version : Flying Fur

Outlawed
12-20-2010, 01:01 AM
I have made grass grow out of an object (using fur), now I need the grass to detach from the object and 'fly away' following a path. How would I go about doing this?

I assume I need to attach a hair system... which I have.. but I don't want to have to edit all the hair settings to get my fur to look the way I had it before the hair system was attached. Although I guess that's a small price to pay for being able to get it to fly away.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Outlawed
12-20-2010, 06:21 AM
Any help guys? I have a really close deadline :(

Outlawed
12-21-2010, 06:17 AM
I find it hard to believe no-one has ever had to do something like this. Leaves falling from a tree? A character losing its fur?

ovspianist
12-21-2010, 07:41 AM
I'm not familiar with the hair system, but a possible solution will be to use nCloth instead of hair. As with nCloth you have a bunch of different types of constraints that you can try.

with tight constraints that connect the grass objects and the object, then you can drive the constraints properties to make them easily broken to achieve that effect you're going for.

Outlawed
12-21-2010, 10:10 AM
How would I go about constraining the fur to the nCloth? Would I have to make my text object an nCloth?

ovspianist
12-21-2010, 11:38 AM
How would I go about constraining the fur to the nCloth? Would I have to make my text object an nCloth?

you should convert the fur object to polygon, or just build the grass with polygon.
the base object could be turned into Passive Collider I think.

Just read the maya doc carefully you can figure it out.

Outlawed
12-21-2010, 11:53 AM
Unfortunately fur can't be converted to polygons, and I already have the fur growth and look animated and approved, so rebuilding it is pretty much out of the question.

I have created and attached hair systems, but although they can make the fur react dynamically, they can't make the fur detach from the bash mesh, even when I set the hair follicles to "not attached".

ovspianist
12-21-2010, 01:10 PM
Unfortunately fur can't be converted to polygons, and I already have the fur growth and look animated and approved, so rebuilding it is pretty much out of the question.

I have created and attached hair systems, but although they can make the fur react dynamically, they can't make the fur detach from the bash mesh, even when I set the hair follicles to "not attached".

OK, All tricky things going on here.......

For this situation, I would try make that underlying geometry nCloth or a soft body object, then you can simulate the flying animation of that geometry and then, bake a series of copies that records the state in each frame of the geometry. Then the underlying geometry can use that blendshape OR you can also geo cache the geometry and use it with geocache. ANYWAY, you've got a surface that deforms just like the grass will do in space, play the animation, the grass should look like they're detached(obviously you need a lot of tweak to be good), and hide the deformed geometry, show the original one.

Done!

After posting this I tried myself to see if it works, it turned out works really well, I kind of like it myself.. so I uploaded a video of this trick.

http://vimeo.com/18047536

Robbyh
12-30-2010, 08:29 AM
Altho my skills in dynamics currently are kind of shabby. Since i havent touched 3D since maya 2010 but !

Couldnt a particle system be used for this ? using instanced geometry or sprites ?

Should be eazyer to use the turbulence / wind . then detach the particles from the mesh ?

Altho above post seems to have a good solution already. Just wondering if diferent techniques could be applied for this.

avirudra
12-31-2010, 04:32 AM
connect the fur system to hair system and use the attribute detach hair to detach fur from surface and u can also use a air field along with it thanku hope its work

Outlawed
01-20-2011, 06:56 AM
Hi guys, sorry about the lack of replies. Basically the project got put on the backburner (one day before the revised deadline) and the fur now no longer needs to fly (phew).

However, I tried ovpianist's technique, and also a few tips shared here, which is another thread I created.

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/61/861700

Hope this may help anyone who comes across a similar problem.

CGTalk Moderation
01-20-2011, 06:56 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.