PDA

View Full Version : Object hanging by a string

purehilarity
12-19-2010, 06:05 PM
As the title says, I need to have an object hanging from a string, almost like a pendant from a necklace. The string needs to behave like cloth, and the bottom object needs to be solid but hang from the chain. Eventually I need to have wind affect the object. Would anybody have some tutorials or pointers to get me started??

Thanks!!

HowardM
12-19-2010, 08:13 PM
nlcoth is perfect for this and really easy to setup.

make a simple ribbon or elongated cube, subdivided so it can bend.
make a cube, sphere, whatever you want to represent the pendant (low res), make it ncloth and raise the resistance settings so its stiff.
select the top verts on the ribbon and make a transform constraint to hold the top of the string.
select the bottoms verts and then select the mesh for the pendant, make a point on surface constraint.

tweak the hell out of the ncloth settings until you get what you want. read up in these forums for plenty of posts about what each setting does, etc...

good luck ;)

purehilarity
12-19-2010, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the awesome response!! Before I read your response I read a bit on Dynamic Curves, and was trying to do it that way, but I'm going to give your suggestion a go. Thanks!!

p.s. would you be able to help me get started on then adding a wind effect to this??

CGTalk Moderation
12-19-2010, 08:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.