PDA

View Full Version : C++ OR Visual Studio

ramdas
12-19-2010, 07:52 AM
Hi Guys I am Abhishek I want to learn Maya API but I don't know should I learn C++ or Visual Studio
please guide me on that

JockeP
12-19-2010, 01:35 PM
C++ is a language.
Visual Studio is a program.
You need to learn both, I recomend that you learn the basics of c++ first.

haggi
12-19-2010, 02:38 PM
And you can learn it with the help of visual studio ;)

ruchitinfushion
12-20-2010, 03:19 AM
Hi Guys I am Abhishek I want to learn Maya API but I don't know should I learn C++ or Visual Studio
please guide me on that

You can develop Maya custom cmd & node directly in c++ compiler without use visual studio also.download this
http://www.bloodshed.net/dev/devcpp.html

But if you still want to use MS visual studio then install only MS VC++ that's it.And don't know why so many ppl are replying like uneducated ppl..Shit......MS VC++ is enough to build Maya API then why ppl give unnecessary advice to use whole visual studio pack.If you want to make API for 64 bit then just install SDK of your OS and simply use that SDK in your project properties(this option is available only in MS VC++ 2010 express).Hope this will help.All the best
And you can learn it with the help of visual studio

Lol.

Robert Bateman
12-20-2010, 12:17 PM
You can develop Maya custom cmd & node directly in c++ compiler without use visual studio also.download this
http://www.bloodshed.net/dev/devcpp.html

Your post is full of so much mis-information I don't know where to start. Firstly. Gcc is fine to use for linux or mac. On windows however Maya is compiled with the Intel compiler, which is only compatible the VC++ compiler. So you have 2 choices on windows, VisualC++ or Intel.
This information is all listed for you in the Maya API docs.

Given that devcpp uses (an ancient version of) gcc, and is therefore incompatible with the Maya API (on windows), I can only assume you are incorrectly reciting something you've read elsewhere, because the only possible way to get devcpp to compile the Maya API would be to manually hook in the Visual C++ or Intel compilers under the surface. Ultimately you are still going to be using Visual C++, but with a significantly worse IDE.

But if you still want to use MS visual studio then install only MS VC++ that's it.
The Maya API documentation clearly states you need the Visual C++ or Intel compiler. No where does it say you need visual studio.

And don't know why so many ppl are replying like uneducated ppl..Shit......MS VC++ is enough to build Maya API then why ppl give unnecessary advice to use whole visual studio pack.

And yet you tell the poster to go and use an incompatible compiler? Pot meet Kettle....

CGTalk Moderation
12-20-2010, 12:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.