PDA

View Full Version : Accepted to Ai but having second thoughts... Which school to choose?

NeonRain
12-18-2010, 08:01 PM
I've been accepted to Ai for their Multimedia and Animation course in Indianapolis. I know Ai has a bad rep, but i've also heard that it's based on the school's location, and I haven't heard anything good or bad about indy's Ai so i'm naturally, kind of wary.

What I saw wasn't too bad, but I definitely don't care for my admissions counselor - I almost feel like i'm being sold a car and not an education. Ai seems to be more based on traditional art courses than tech like 3D which isn't bad, but I'm looking for a LOT of 3D.

I can have a BoS in 3 years but at the price of 89K which is hella expensive... and with their reputation I can hardly imagine risking it.

IUPUI (located in Indy) and Purdue Lafayette both offer Computer Graphics Technology out of their Tech Schools.

IUPUI offers their BoS in 3 years and is nationally accredited.

Purdue Lafayette offers a bachelors in 3 years (might be 4 years).

Indiana Wesleyan Marion offers a Bachelors in I believe 4 years, and I know virtually nothing about them except they have a very small class size and are reglious based (joy).

I'm just looking for some general opinions on these schools before I waste anymore time. I feel kind of iffy about Ai so far, but I think i'd like the atmosphere better than a traditional school.

Ai in general is very expensive and may have a poor rep.
Purdue is cheaper (in the long run) and is more 3D based (Anyone graduated from Purdue for Computer Graphics Technology?)
I know nothing about Wesleyan except it's expensive, small, a private school, and Christian based.

jesse92
12-19-2010, 01:27 AM
Well, i dont know about the schools you mentioned but, about AI, please dont, just dont, just think this... for the same money, you can get education much much better, just take a look a other private schools, art schools, like VFS which will cost cheaper, and would be a hella of a lot better, something like Gnomon, and stuff like that, do your research before you do a major life changing decision, but remember this, all the art schools will give you traditional art classes, its a must if you want to be good at 3d, if you prove to be good enough in traditional art, in some schools, you can take a program that is solely 3d, and it will be less time, Oh, and yeah you will have to travel, i dont think the best choices are in Indianapolis, you ll have to move to the coast, or something.

Also, what do you want to specialize in? animation, modeling, vfx?

meyers3d
12-19-2010, 04:01 AM
If you are looking for a traditional art foundation and/or transfer credits that may or may not transfer, you might want to consider a community college first. The price is about 10x cheaper that way. But years ago when I was considering AI, I know they hardly accepted any of my previous credits so I passed on them.

NeonRain
12-19-2010, 05:43 AM
Well, i dont know about the schools you mentioned but, about AI, please dont, just dont, just think this... for the same money, you can get education much much better, just take a look a other private schools, art schools, like VFS which will cost cheaper, and would be a hella of a lot better, something like Gnomon, and stuff like that, do your research before you do a major life changing decision, but remember this, all the art schools will give you traditional art classes, its a must if you want to be good at 3d, if you prove to be good enough in traditional art, in some schools, you can take a program that is solely 3d, and it will be less time, Oh, and yeah you will have to travel, i dont think the best choices are in Indianapolis, you ll have to move to the coast, or something.

Also, what do you want to specialize in? animation, modeling, vfx?

Isn't VFS an Ai also? I'm thinking of Vancouver Film School which I remember being told was an Ai.

I don't mind traditional art classes. I guess I gave the wrong impression. Ai's Multimedia and Animation had mostly traditional classes with only 1 class being actually dedicated to 3D animation as a whole. I definitely think figure and life drawing are something you can never learn enough from, but I can't see thoroughly learning 3 different 3D programs in 3 weeks and throwing together a suitable demo reel in that time. The demo reel of a student she showed me didn't look so impressive, but maybe that's typical from student demo reels I guess.

Can you recommend any other schools on the coast? I heard CalArts is great by some and some say it's pretty behind on 3D, but I see also on Wiki that over half of the Pixar staff are CalArts graduates, and that's where i'd like to land a job.

I thought that after I graduated university I would also take AnimationMentor to smooth me out and get me some inside knowledge.

I'd like to specialize in animation. I would also like to learn how to do some modeling too I guess.

jesse92
12-20-2010, 11:15 AM
Isn't VFS an Ai also? I'm thinking of Vancouver Film School which I remember being told was an Ai.

Okay dude, that is just so wrong, the one that told you that obviously didnt know anything about the school, VFS IS NOT an Ai, VFS's reputation is pretty damn good, being considered in the top 5 animation schools in the world man, while the Ai have a reputation of just being a rip off.

I don't mind traditional art classes. I guess I gave the wrong impression. Ai's Multimedia and Animation had mostly traditional classes with only 1 class being actually dedicated to 3D animation as a whole. I definitely think figure and life drawing are something you can never learn enough from, but I can't see thoroughly learning 3 different 3D programs in 3 weeks and throwing together a suitable demo reel in that time. The demo reel of a student she showed me didn't look so impressive, but maybe that's typical from student demo reels I guess.

I take it you mean the Animation and Visual effects program, well, i think you are a little bit wrong here too, i was going to get into the art institute of Houston, and i saw the curriculum, and yeah, at the beginning is pure traditional classes, thats how it usually is, around the half of the 2 year and on you start getting into the software and get digital.
Now, you can go youtube Demoreels from Ai students... and then go look for demoreel from VFS students... and watch the tremendous difference in the quality of their work.

Can you recommend any other schools on the coast? I heard CalArts is great by some and some say it's pretty behind on 3D, but I see also on Wiki that over half of the Pixar staff are CalArts graduates, and that's where i'd like to land a job.

You want a good animation school? id say Ringling in Florida is the best for animation in the USA, you can go to their website and their student work for the animation program is mindblowing, other than that, Gnomon is an exellent school, their animation program is not their strength but is still far far better than Ai's, There is this school in SF, Academy of Art university, if you are of the best ones in the animation class, you can apply to take the so called..." pixar classes " where animators working at pixar go an teach advance stuff, i dont know alot about Calarts, they say its pretty good.

I thought that after I graduated university I would also take AnimationMentor to smooth me out and get me some inside knowledge.

About this... well, lets just say you'd be better off just doing the animation mentor program than going to an Ai, but you wouldnt get any traditional skills training. Really no need of wasting your money in a school, and then get in animation mentor, unless you really feel unprepared, which i'd be almost sure you'd be if you graduate from Ai.

I'd like to specialize in animation. I would also like to learn how to do some modeling too I guess.

Dont worry, most schools will teach you a little bit of everything until you choose a path, Animation, modeling or vfx.

smd9
12-20-2010, 07:30 PM

I think you might have it confused with the Art Institute of Vancouver, which is different from Vancouver Film School.

Dare-o
12-20-2010, 10:58 PM
I would also take AnimationMentor to smooth me out and get me some inside knowledge.

Skip AI, go straight to AnimationMentor/VFS.

smd9
12-22-2010, 01:15 AM

Perhaps you're getting that confused with the Art Institute of Vancouver? That's different from VFS.

heyitsdave
12-22-2010, 02:00 PM
I went to a local community college for my A.A.S. in Multimedia and Design. They taught the basics (and in many cases more) in just about everything. Photoshop, Painter, 3D modeling w/basic animation, digital video editing, compositing, interactive multimedia (Flash, Director, HTML, web design), audio, etc. I also studied traditional art including art history, photography, life drawing, even acting and music. It was great! Best money Iíve spent on higher education and it was ridiculously cheap at around $100 per credit. After that I had a portfolio that helped me get a partial scholarship to a bigger art school, where to be honest, I was disappointed by many of the teachers and lackluster facilities. At the time, the community college was better equipped , with the exception of some better software at the more expensive art school.

I never finished the degree program at the art school. I ended up getting an entry level position and learning on the job. The job itself taught me a great deal and some very talented, generous colleagues worked after hours training me more. That was five years ago. Iíve since moved on to another studio where I have a job that I love and no student loans to pay off.

My $0.02. Good luck.

Meloncov
12-31-2010, 06:13 AM
There is this school in SF, Academy of Art university, if you are of the best ones in the animation class, you can apply to take the so called..." pixar classes " where animators working at pixar go an teach advance stuff, i dont know alot about Calarts, they say its pretty good.

Not anymore. All of the Pixar teachers have stopped teaching at Academy of Art, with quite a few leaving for my school, California College of the Arts. Every animation student here gets to take multiple classes from Pixar teachers. Next semester I'm taking a class from Mark Andrews, the person who has taken over directing Pixar's Brave.

EDIT: I just read a couple pixar people are going to be teaching at AAU next semester, for the first time in several years. Still, that's three teachers in a program with several thousand students.

CGTalk Moderation
12-31-2010, 06:14 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.