PDA

View Full Version : choosing a second monitor

zoster
12-18-2010, 03:58 PM
Hi all !

I would like to add a second monitor to my setup, and i wanted to know what i should look for in terms of compatibility, so here are some questions, maybe you could help me out:

1. does the number of pixels per height have to be the same on both monitors? If not, does some kind of clipping occur?

2. someone told me they should have the same refresh rate in order not to tire the eyes. is this true? What other properties should correspond to the original monitor? (mind you i don't intend on buying the same monitor; i have a dell 2007wfp S-IPS and i would like to buy one of those squarish 1280 x 1024 monitors as a second monitor)

3. i have a wacom intuos 3 tablet, can this be mapped on only one monitor?

thanks a lot for your interest!

Srek
12-18-2010, 06:07 PM
Hi,
1. i s mainly personal preference. I use a 23 and a 20" side by side with identical vertical resolutions. If the resolution does not match by default thearea is smply different (no scrolling). Other people i know prefer identical monitors or even much more different setups.

2. The refresh rate was a real issue with old CRTs, i never had or heard of any issues with LCDs in this regard.

Can't comment on 3. since i don't use a Wacom.

Personaly i would try to get a second display that uses the same type (as close as possible) of panel so they are visualy similar or in best case have an identical color display. Two identical displays would be ideal for this of course.

Cheers
Björn

zoster
12-18-2010, 06:14 PM
hey, thanks for your answer!

i didn't quite get this: If the resolution does not match by default thearea is smply different (no scrolling)
could you rephrase?

Srek
12-18-2010, 06:44 PM
You simply have two differently sized areas.

Cheers
Björn

betical
12-21-2010, 05:21 AM
i think you could get the ASUS 24'' LED (http://www.dealstudio.com/searchdeals.php?type=id&q=d207752&ru=286064),since my friend just got one,it's really have the excellent image quality,amazing one!i wondered if this one is what you want,but you could have a look,i think it could satisfied your requirement.

gamedeveloper
12-21-2010, 03:11 PM
1. I'd try to get the same vertical height, as different vertical heights lead to 'mouse trapping' where the mouse cursor gets hung along the top/bottom of the screen as you drag between the two displays. This is just an annoyance really, but adds up over time. 23" and 20" inch displays usually have the same vertical resolution (1920x1200 and 1600x1200). Try to get a monitor that rotates into portrait. Can be very useful.

2. if you own an IPS already, try to get another IPS so you can have a better chance at matching color fidelity. That is, unless the second display is just for tools and menus. In which case you can get anything... (I'd go for a used IPS off eBay before I'd purchase a new TN panel). Imagine you are working zoomed-in on the left display, and the right display has the zoomed out view of the same art. If you are working with two different monitor types it can be a pain. That's why many purchase matched displays (even trying to get them from the same lot/manufacture date).

3. Yeah, you can map your wacom stylus to a single display and then map the mouse to both displays (or vice/versa). Using "Pen mode" is what gives you the choice (can be used on mouse or stylus). Same on Mac or PC. Or you could use a regular mouse across both displays and keep the wacom stylus & mouse mapped to a single display.

I think that Dell is 1680x1050 native resolution (and doublecheck that it is not S-PVA). I see used on eBay right now for less than $125.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-2007WFP-20-Inch-Flat-Panel-Widescreen-LCD-Monitor-/170575936064?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item27b71e3a40

If you want to get detailed, try to match panel type and manufacture dates before purchase.

zoster
12-26-2010, 04:40 PM
thanks for your answer!

1. didn't know about mouse trapping, so thanks!
my current display does rotate into a portrait.

2. my second monitor is for menus and other stuff that where colors aren't important, so i am worried only in terms of eye exhaustion, not accuracy.

3. thanks!

evanfotis
12-28-2010, 09:07 AM
the way things are going, with 4:3 monitors becoming a niche market, and having higher price/inch ratio than the 16:10 and especially 16:9 ones, I believe you could find a 16:10 1920x1200 24'er (HP Z24W that is SIPS and SRB) with a 20 euro difference from the 20'ers Dell 2007 or HP 2065, and you'll get extra horizontal pixels, so you can make that your main monitor and keep the Dell for palettes.
Other than that the most cost efficient display atm is the 23 (16:9) Dell U2311 at around 100 euros less..

CGTalk Moderation
12-28-2010, 09:07 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.