PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Maya 2011 plugins wizard

SireJeans
12-18-2010, 11:38 AM
Hello everyone :wavey:

I have some difficulties making the Maya plugin wizard work with my installed Visual Studio. It's not a problem about making the Maya plugin appear in the list of project template when doing File > New > Project. This stage was fully completed and I have the wizard window popup with the kind of plugin I want, all the libraries linking etc. On the other hand it fails at creating the project when I clic on the "finish" button. I have an error message box displayed telling (rough translation from french) : "Project setup has failed".

I have Maya 2011 and both visual studio 2008 SP1 and visual 2010 express installed on my comp running with Windows 7. What bother me is that I can make the wizard appears on both version of visual but they fail at creating any plugin at the end of the wizard setup.

Do you have any idea about what can cause this malfunction ?

zoharl
12-21-2010, 04:59 PM
You don't need the wizard. Create a new dll project, make sure to change the target extension to mll, and link the appropriate libs. Google it if I missed something.

SireJeans
12-21-2010, 05:28 PM
Thanks for your answer even if it was kind of unexpected since I have all the prerequisites to make it works and wanted to know where the problem was :(

By the way, is it true that I have to stick to Visual Studio 2008 sp1 to compile a plugin for Maya 2011 or I can use my Express 2010 version ? I am thinking that if there is no need for the wizard to work there is choice in what compiler I can use to build my plugin. Am I wrong ?

Oh and another question : do you know of good tutorials on the web about how to write and build extensions for Maya ? Or there is only the API doc and the samples that come with the software ?

ganzo
12-22-2010, 02:27 AM
Agreed, plugin wizard adds too much junk imho. If you are starting out I guess it is good to get a basic code skeleton going, but after a while when you want your own naming conventions and such...you see that it is more of a pain than a helper app.

CGTalk Moderation
12-22-2010, 02:27 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.