PDA

View Full Version : TRON Legacy :: Production Focus

PaulHellard
12-18-2010, 04:31 AM
Hey

We've waited a while for this and NOTHING is going to stop us posting our production story as soon as the readers want to read it. Today, on the day of the US release, I present TRON: Legacy.

Click the visuals:

http://features.cgsociety.org//images/plugs/feature/plug_tron_legacy.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=6011)

LightSovereign
12-18-2010, 08:12 AM
Tron was visually striking. The 3d used judiciously. A technical powerhouse that hopefully leads to an Oscar nod..Hang on, that list has been released already hasn't it?.

In any case, A fantastic read, Thank you

Dare-o
12-18-2010, 08:27 AM
Just got back from the theater and loved every minute of it.

An amazing job to everyone who worked on it. :cool:

miketche
12-18-2010, 03:42 PM
Just saw the movie. It was fantastic. I really really loved every minute of it. But one thing is for sure to me. They still have not overcome the uncanny valley. Young Jeff Bridges just always looked off to me. Not quite real. Even a little kid sitting behind me in the theater commented when we first see young Flynn in his home at the beginning, "That looks like a cartoon." But all this certainly was not enough to make me not like the movie over all.

azozel
12-18-2010, 05:40 PM
This movie was pure Awesome sauce! :thumbsup: Great article too, just stop making them so damn short!

demoniorojo
12-18-2010, 10:01 PM
Awesome!! I love the original film, and I love this sequel!! very impressive work and really beautyfull results.A great update of the original look

girloftomorrow
12-18-2010, 10:57 PM
Nice little bit on the effects work by DD, although I found it hard to read with poor sentence structure and grammar usage. I'd recommend reading it over a few times before publishing this piece.

SciFibrow
12-19-2010, 12:15 AM
It's such a beautiful world to see executed in flawless stereo 3D. TL certainly deserves a VFX Oscar (in my opinion).

We don't often get to see something that looks so incredibly new.

Couture
12-19-2010, 01:37 AM
As a film? Pretty poor. The VFX? Brilliant. Thanks for the read!

TechDir09
12-19-2010, 11:49 AM
Nice movie.....Visually perfect.....Good work Digital Domain.......Watched already twice....

lovedebri
12-21-2010, 11:47 PM
poor plot and main characters except the great Jeff Bridges, but overall design, visual effects, and sound are awesome, I enjoyed the full 127 min, great work DD.

JCAddy
12-22-2010, 03:11 PM
I thought it was a pretty entertaining movie and that's what these types of movies are made to do. I don't think it was supposed to have some in depth plot that took you on turn after turn, so it did it's job in that aspect. The visual effects were beyond what I expected. Awesome work and congratulations to DD.

The only gripe I had was that young J. Bridges seemed to have a bit of a stubby neck at times ...was it just me that thought this?

gamedeveloper
12-22-2010, 04:06 PM
I could completely accept FlynnCLU due to context, but young Flynn in the real world was squarely in the uncanny valley. Perhaps it was using mocap from 60 year old Jeff Bridges on a 30 year old Jeff Bridges face. The muscle movement/expressions just didn't add up.

Really great attempt though.

The rest of the effects were just FANTASTIC. Story wasn't too bad either.

Krabko
12-22-2010, 06:35 PM
More making of info with hi-res :buttrock:

fxguide.com/... (http://www.fxguide.com/article666.html?goback=.gde_812167_member_38293398)

evolucian
12-23-2010, 06:18 AM
jeff bridges was good
olivia wilde was great (clone her, want to buy!)
vfx were good
daft punk was great

the rest is very forgetable. weak script and even weaker dialogue.

Piata
12-23-2010, 04:46 PM
Loved the movie. Not sure why everyone is giving it such a bad rapDaft Punk did an excellent job on the score and the symbolism in it was pretty amazing:
- Flynn the creator
- CLU the fallen child
- Kevin Flynn wanting things to be "open" and give everyone access. CLU and ENCOM wanting things to be closed and controlled
- the bits on the fireplace representing 1 and 0, right and wrong
- CLU looking at the silver apples (the forbidden fruit)
- that the pursuit of perfection can become destructive
- that perfection cannot be created but rather creates itself (i.e. CLU's vision of perfection is flawed like his creator's, while Quorra and Sam who Kevin Flynn had little involvement with turned out more perfect than his creation all on their own)
It feels like everyone looked at the pretty special effects and missed all the subtle undertones this film had to offer. Tis a shame. This is one of my favourite movies of the year.

Dodgeas3d
12-27-2010, 01:18 PM
Yep i agree to Piata. The message is great. Theres definitely some symbolism hidden, just masses don't see it. other then that great film, great CGI, music, and amazing concepts, some flavor from 90s. must see!

Pyke
12-29-2010, 02:04 PM
I don't think the symbolism was hidden at all...in fact, in some scenes they kinda smack you over the head with it. Anyone who DIDN'T get the Judeo-Christian arc to the story must REALLY not have been concentrating.
I'm not saying that the movie was trying to push religion at all-but the core elements (the creator, the fall from grace, the second coming, etc) were there.

Really enjoyed the movie. I felt the first act could have used a little more...polish, with Sam accepting what was going on a little to quickly.

Light Cycles were bad-ass, fighting was awesome, and Olivia Wilde just looked...well...like Olivia Wilde. ;)

DoubleSupercool
01-01-2011, 11:57 AM
Very average movie but the production design was amazing. I only wished they lingered on shots more during the action and did more wide shots. Directors these days seem to confuse "frenetic" with "action", chopping way too much on shots.

For example, and no real spoilers here, the awesome thing about the light cycles is their trails and the shapes they make on the grid. For the most part the light cycle sequence was stunning, but it was way too close in to get an appreciation of them zooming all over the grid. Every now and then they would do a 2 second wide shot where you would see their trails and the cool grid with all its obstacles and then it was back into cuts ever 12 frames to show how actiony it was.

Let the shots breathe a bit guys!

ilyaRytov
01-02-2011, 04:36 PM
The music and imagery accompanied with it are impressive, however many shots fit rather a model shoot or some sort of commercial and therefore takes away the realism. Also I would reconsider the story line here and there, specfically, this ever winning heroic style, it is too predictable when it comes to "who to sacrifice", of course, it is the old father and the "bad guy". I really like the make-up work on both Olivia and Beau, particularly of the latter.

For some reasons I cannot read "The Tron Legacy - Production Focus". The page uploads and then disappears in a few seconds, just a blank page is left below the CGSociety head frame. Any cues?

sonomamashine
01-14-2011, 10:01 PM
I had exactlly the same problem with every article in the page, used firefox instead and culd read them, but had to update adobe flash when i opened firefox, then, tried again with explorer and it works now. I think it was an adobe flash`s problem...i suggest you to update flash, or use fierefox instead if that doesn`t work. cheers.

ChristopheFauconneau
02-10-2011, 09:33 PM
Tremendous design, color schemes and action. Graphix bomb.
ThumbsUp !

CGTalk Moderation
02-10-2011, 09:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.