PDA

View Full Version : Auto Assign Material On Creation

SeanEG
12-18-2010, 04:36 AM
Hey guys, first post here. I decided to throw myself head first into MaxScript yesterday and I've come across my first barrier.

I can't figure out how to go about automatically assigning a material to an object upon creation. It was simple to assign a material to everything in the scene, but this is proving to be a lot more difficult. After searching through the MaxScript reference, I'm thinking I might have to do something with a callback script and #nodeCreated, but I'm not sure.

Any advice or input on how to go about doing this?

Thanks in advance.

Bobo
12-18-2010, 07:27 AM
Did you happen to find the topic "How To ... Assign Materials Automatically" in the MAXScript Help?

But yes, using the callback you found would be even better.

SeanEG
12-18-2010, 07:41 AM
Ah, how did I not see that before? I'll see what I can do with that, and come back if I hit another wall.

Thanks for the response!

PEN
12-18-2010, 06:04 PM
Try this

http://paulneale.com/scripts/autoMaterial/autoMaterial.htm

SeanEG
12-18-2010, 06:34 PM
Hey PEN, that looks great. But when I tried to drag and drop the .mzp into the viewport, I get this error.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/832936/mzp_error.jpg

Any idea what the problem is?

JHN
12-19-2010, 12:00 PM
Do you have vista or win7 with UAC enabled? It probably didn't allow the script to copy the file to a program directory folder.

-Johan

PEN
12-19-2010, 11:15 PM
Ya disable the UAC in win 7. It will work then.

SeanEG
12-20-2010, 04:23 AM
Yup, that was it. Thanks guys.

PEN
12-20-2010, 01:37 PM
Let me know how that tool works out for you. I wrote it years ago for a friend and I don't know many people that have used it other then him.

denisT
12-21-2010, 01:57 AM
I wrote it years ago for a friend and I don't know many people that have used it other then him.

it's the same story for me. Just curious, why does anyone need to assign a material on EVERY node created?

PEN
12-21-2010, 02:31 AM
Well the company that was using it needed to have a material on every object that were exported to their game engine or the engine would crash.

The tool that I wrote also allows you to apply default gray colors instead of the colors that max uses.

denisT
12-21-2010, 02:46 AM
Well the company that was using it needed to have a material on every object that were exported to their game engine or the engine would crash.

The tool that I wrote also allows you to apply default gray colors instead of the colors that max uses.

i understand. but the ui has to have an option to activate the auto-assign mode. in code you have to have a filter for nodes to assign. and blah-blah-blah... in my experience it's much more easier to select a set of nodes and assign some material to them at once. ...and to have a warning message on export level if the material assignment is wrong.

PEN
12-21-2010, 12:33 PM
Once you turn mine on it stays on permanently. I find that rather easy all around. Plus it is always easiest to do what my clients ask for when I have no control over there pipeline.

CGTalk Moderation
12-21-2010, 12:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.