PDA

View Full Version : The big step from Painter Classic to Painter 8

Chruser
10-13-2003, 06:19 PM
Well, I just made the move, and so far, I really like Painter 8. The only annoying thing is how slow it is on my system while using the water colors, but I don't use them very often so far anyway.

Either way, I'm just curious about my favourite tool from Painter Classic, the Just Add Water. Is it still around with a new name, or am I just not looking hard enough? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Oh, by the way, except for the brush simulation, does anyone like the other Painter (8) features more than, say, Photoshop?

Jinbrown
10-14-2003, 12:14 AM
Hi,

Finding older version brush variants in Painter 8 is easier (sometimes) if you think about the brush variant's characteristics, or what it does.

Just Add Water is used to blend, to move colored pixels around. Guess what? ;)

You'll find it in the Blenders category.

With complex brush variants, like the Water Colors, you'll find things go faster if you do your work with smaller brush sizes. This can be done if you begin with an image with smaller dimensions and lower Resolution (lower ppi number, or pixels per inch number), block in large areas of color, then Resize upward to larger dimensions and higher Resolution (ppi), paint in large details, and finally Resize upward again to the final dimensions and Resolution (ppi) to paint in fine details and clean things up.

Another way to speed up brush variants a little is to adjust the Feature slider found in the Brush Creator's Size section. Moving it one way increases bristle density; moving it the other way decreases bristle density and makes the brushstroke render more quickly.

You'll need to experiment with the Feature slider to find the best setting. Also think about how it will look if and when you Resize your image upward and plan accordingly.

Since Painter has some features that are not available in Photoshop, if a person uses those features, I'd guess that would indicate they like them better than what's in Photoshop. ;)

Photoshop users often have a difficult time making the transition to Painter as many seem to want things to work the same.

Do yourself a favor right from the start and think of Painter as Painter. They are two different programs and don't work alike though many things are similar.

Happy Painting!

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.