PDA

View Full Version : Fur not animating

Outlawed
12-16-2010, 11:24 PM
I am trying to get a simple text object to grow grass. I have followed this tutorial to the letter, but the grass simply renders full length on every frame.

http://download.autodesk.com/us/maya/2011help/index.html?url=Animating_fur_attributes_Animate_fur_attributes.htm,topicNumber=d0e449332

I am using Maya 2011 SP1. The grass doesn't grow in the viewport, and every frame renders with full length grass, even though the length starts at zero. I have tried it with playback at 'play every frame' and also 25fps.

Any ideas?

Outlawed
12-16-2010, 11:27 PM
Okay, seems to work fine on a simple plane. Is there a problem with the fact I have a displacement map on my text model?

Outlawed
12-17-2010, 12:25 AM
I have converted my displacement to polygons, reduced the number of polygons etc and deleted the history. Now when I attach a fur description, I can animate it, but the fur is going crazy, flipping in all directions. It is a polygon surface, so shouldn't all that craziness only happen to trimmed surfaces?

Outlawed
12-17-2010, 01:37 AM
Feel free to offer any advice guys.

I have ditched that scene and started again, but I am getting the same problem of the grass rendering at the same length, despite it's keyframed value. The object has no history, displacement or anything applied except the original lambert. Any help? Please?

Outlawed
12-17-2010, 03:27 AM
Myellooooooo???

Outlawed
12-20-2010, 02:53 AM
Problem solved - due to not being able to use any noise on the length, all strands would appear at the exact same time. Worked around it by adding another less dense fur description and having it grow a little earlier than the first description.

CGTalk Moderation
12-20-2010, 02:53 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.