PDA

View Full Version : Setup Artist Demo Reel 2011

KohnarForever
12-16-2010, 07:29 PM
Some of you have seen me post off and on over the past 6 months with no work to show for myself. Finally, I have been able to create a demo reel which will be sent to companies in the very near future. If you have any comments or critiques, please do not hesitate to reply! I enjoy any critique that will ultimately make my work better! Thanks for watching!

Stephen Wong - Setup Artist Demo Reel 2011 (http://www.vimeo.com/17893332)

Chinwagon
12-17-2010, 12:20 PM
That's nice stuff Steven. It's good to see you showing off both cartoony, non-bipedal and realistic rig work. The variety is great and it's nice and short too.

My only critique would be show off more of the realistic stuff in detail. You could add an extra 20 seconds no problem. Working in VFX myself, the hardest rigging I've ever done is with realistic, anatomy based rigging. Showing all of the physical effects of what makes up something like a mouth or a shoulder in very fine detail is much more difficult than setting up a cartoony version for example. Showing a bicep muscle or a scapula bone sliding realistically under the skin would be of good value.

I believe that if you can do anatomical stuff well you can do anything, so emphasising that stuff in your reel makes you much more desirable to big VFX houses.

Good stuff though, keep it up.
:)

NolanSW
12-17-2010, 05:35 PM
I agree with everything that Brad said. I think adding a few more seconds at the end showing off more of the statue rig since this is your strongest piece. Was there any tools you developed in the rigging process that helped? This could be helpful to show both technical skills as well as efficiency in workflow to the viewer. Great stuff! My only crit is the animation in the beginning is a bit stiff and lacks flow. Could use another pass. A bit more weight, anticipation and follow through.

-Sean

Boucha
12-18-2010, 09:32 AM
Good stuff there ... my comments are the same as Chinwagon & NolanSW. Also, it would be better if you could show of the demo without the maya UI elements, just a bit clean ... Nice work there and congrats !

KohnarForever
12-20-2010, 05:21 AM
Thanks for the critiques! I've been working on fixes and should have it updated within a week!

wind27382
06-26-2011, 04:05 PM
Just check out your work and sent you a pm thanks for the fast reply.

mtucker2
06-27-2011, 03:33 PM
You need to show some facial rigging. Probably the most important part of the character is the face so make sure you can really show off some awesome stuff in that area.

CGTalk Moderation
06-27-2011, 03:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.