PDA

View Full Version : photo-retouching

blueeyedsoul
10-13-2003, 03:28 PM
hiho everybody..
im a newbie in photoshop and i want to kill the grain in the pic. it was made in a very dark room, so i have a lot of grain it.. can anybody help me?
cheers c.:)

klingspor
10-13-2003, 06:28 PM
Depending on the intensity of the grain you could try the Median and Despeckle filters in the Filters/Noise menu, both are included in Photoshop by default.

That's probably the simplest way to go about it, but don't expect any miracles... ;)

blueeyedsoul
10-13-2003, 07:10 PM
thanks.. it helps a lil.. but the grain is still there.. :(
im also intressting in tutorials for massive-retouching of photos.. like there are in the front of magazines.. if anybody could hlep me??? thankx

Conanart
10-13-2003, 07:19 PM
To be honest you may be screwed. I use photoshop a lot and if the starting image is of poor quality it will stay a poor quality image. Your starting point is everything. The old syaing goes, "you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear".

If the grain is bad after despeckle, dust and scratches and the like, the other option is a slight blur. If you scanned the image, try using the descreen filter on your scanner software.

Sorry.
Gareth

blueeyedsoul
10-13-2003, 08:03 PM
u're right.. yeah.. but it must be possible.. that the photo looks much better... like the style on the front of the magazines.. u know..

i know that is difficult and i dont wanna find the "look-cool-button" but maybe a few tutorials :-D

gmask
10-13-2003, 08:27 PM
>>like the style on the front of the magazines.. u know..

Then get yourself a light kit and hassleblad 4x4..

you can't take great pictures in the dark unless oyu are using a infrared photgraphy and that probably isn't what you are going for.

Basically retouching this image to make it look grainless will require bascially repainting the entire image.

This is however what you can do to try to make it better..

Make two copie sof th eiamge.. in the second one make it CMYK and take the black channel and paste it into a new image ile.

Then using the smudge tool clean it up by tracing over the lines in the black.

Then in the original copy.. duplicate the image and past it back into itself.. apply a soft blur until the grain is gone.

Then paste the black image on top of the blur and set it to darken.. now play with the opacity levels of the three layers until you get something you like.

Ian Jones
10-13-2003, 11:02 PM
www.retouchpro.com

blueeyedsoul
10-14-2003, 12:31 AM
thanks i will check the site... :)

sevenfingers
10-14-2003, 02:32 PM
I'd reccomend reshooting the picture, with a longer exposure.
If you want to fix the halting picture to an extend, you're left with noise reduction algos and stuff. My first suggestion is to seperate the colour information from the lightness, convert the picture to LAB mode. Then fix the lightness channel first.

blueeyedsoul
10-14-2003, 06:33 PM
sorry, dont understand.. lol, im a lil newbie sorry

blueeyedsoul
10-16-2003, 03:23 PM
whats the LAB mode?

klingspor
10-16-2003, 03:33 PM
Sorry to sound a little harsh, but Photoshop does have a help file, you know... just look it up, it's somewhere in there.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.