PDA

View Full Version : Scripting Skills

newvans
12-15-2010, 07:33 PM
I noticed in some job descriptions for Riggers or 3D Artists, they ask that you have knowledge in scripting.

I would like to know what should an intermediate and advanced TD level of scripting should be at. And what is required of them.

I am a 3D artist coming from a traditional 2D background. I've rigged numerous characters, and feel i have a strong understanding of the rigging process. But i feel my scripting/coding game is weak.
Anything i know about scripting i have taught myself. Mainly in the past i've used script as a means to automate tasks and get the job done.

Could anyone explain in detail what is required of an intro level td/rigger and what to strive for in order to be a strong, poweruser....

Your comments are greatly appreciated.
Thanks

NewVans

MattRennie
12-16-2010, 09:12 AM
'Mainly in the past i've used script as a means to automate tasks and get the job done.'

In a nutshell thats it. You won't write scripts just for writing scripts sake. You will be writing scripts/tools to fill holes in your package or to make a process faster. Things such as auto riggers, new weight mirroring tools, vertex re-orderers all that kind of fun stuff.

What you need to demonstrate is that the reason you wrote a tool was a good one and that it truly does speed up the workflow.

I also like to see nicely laid out interfaces - is the logic of their placement easy enough for someone with no experience with it able to understand what it's for and how to use it?

CGTalk Moderation
12-16-2010, 09:12 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.