PDA

View Full Version : which area of 3d arts education is most conducive to employment?

p0ison1vy
12-15-2010, 08:46 AM
hello everyone,

I think i have decided to pursue my interest in computer animation in college, however i am worried about the job market.
when i create art, naturally i tend to draw characters, it is my interest, and what im best at, but from what i know the market is flooded with hopeful character artists... not that i would mind at all, pursing other paths within the 3d animation field; i really hope to learn it all, regardless.

id like to know, are there any difference in job ratios between general commercial animation, animation in the gaming industry, visual effects, etc?
is there anything i should know before i decide on which course to take?

any feedback appreciated! thanksssss

MPiland
12-15-2010, 05:01 PM
Why not try your hand at character modeling? From what I understand (just from reading forums since I'm not in that industry yet), it's less flooded with people due to it's difficulty of landing a job, but if you can draw a character you should be able to model it. You just need the knowledge and know how, but you obviously have a knack for the artistic sense. Just a suggestion.

jesse92
12-16-2010, 07:16 AM
It doesnt matter how many character artist there are in the industry, there is always going to be a % of people that suck, a % of people that are good a % of people considered above good and a % of people that are considered the best.

If you manage to get in the last 2 classifications of artist, you will be a success, the amount of Effort, talent, and passion, will be the decisive factor for this.

Good luck.

CGTalk Moderation
12-16-2010, 07:16 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.