PDA

View Full Version : Putting MEL scripts where maya can see them

Mambo4
12-14-2010, 05:42 PM
This feels like anoob thread even tho i've been playign with mel for years, but:

Can somebody please explain exactly where in my Win XP system I need to put a mel script so Maya recognizes its existence?

over the year's I've taken to one of 2 approaches:
1.) just using the script editor file\load script... and just navigating to the mel script I want
or
2.) copying the same MEL file into EVERY ...\Scripts folder I can find... because MOST of the ...\scripts folders don't seem to work, as in Maya doesn't know to look in that particular folder...

1.) is inconvenient and 2.) seems just messy (and an admission that I don't really know how to tell Maya where my scripts are)

Uhm running Maya 8.0 /Win XP if that matters

ginodauri
12-14-2010, 06:00 PM
Run this line in script editor:

getenv "MAYA_SCRIPT_PATH"

NaughtyNathan
12-14-2010, 08:56 PM
put all your scripts inside:

My Documents\maya\scripts\

if they are version specific put them in:

My Documents\maya\20XX\scripts\

(where 20XX is the version number, in your case probably 8.0). There are many other script folders but you shouldn't ever need to worry about them. You can also add your own folders to the path by editing the MAYA_SCRIPT_PATH environment variable as previously mentioned (adding it to maya.env is the easiest way).

You say Maya is not recognizing these folders? in what way? Sub-folders are NOT allowed (well, they are technically allowed, but Maya won't automatically find any mel scripts inside them...)

have a look at this old post too:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=6357905&postcount=2

:nathaN

ewerybody
12-15-2010, 01:41 PM
he nathan! you didn't mention internalVar (http://download.autodesk.com/us/maya/2009help/Commands/internalVar.html) there. Its helpful:internalVar -userScriptDir;
// Result: C:/Users/username/Documents/maya/20XX/scripts/ //

CGTalk Moderation
12-15-2010, 01:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.